autodoc_2000
autodoc_2000, Auto Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech W/Advanced Engine Performance
157591

2000 isuzu rodeo: the waterpump..v6..cams..special tools

Customer Question

how do i change the waterpump on a 2000 isuzu rodeo v6 duel overhead cams. do i need any special tools
Category: Honda
Expert:  autodoc_2000 replied 6 years ago.
Removal & Installation

3.2L & 3.5L Engines
  1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
  2. Drain the cooling system.
  3. Remove or disconnect the following:
    • Negative battery cable
    • Upper radiator hose
    • Timing belt. Refer to the Timing Belt procedure.
    • Idler pulley
    • Water pump

To install:

Click image to see an enlarged viewExploded view of the water pump mounting Click image to see an enlarged viewWater pump torque sequence. Apply LOCTITE® 262 to bolt number 3 (arrow)-3.2L and 3.5L engines

NOTE Apply Loctite® 262 to bolt number 3 prior to installation.
  1. Install or connect the following:
    • Water pump. Tighten the bolts in two passes, in sequence, to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
    • Idler pulley. Torque to 38 ft. lbs. (52 Nm).
    • Timing belt
    • Upper radiator hose
    • Negative battery cable
  2. Fill the cooling system.
  3. Start the engine and check for leaks.
3.2L Engine
  1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
  2. Drain the cooling system.
  3. Remove or disconnect the following: Negative battery cableRadiator hoseAccessory drive beltFront coverTiming belt. Refer to the Timing Belt unit repair section.Timing belt idler pulleyWater pump
    • Negative battery cable
    • Radiator hose
    • Accessory drive belt
    • Front cover
    • Timing belt. Refer to the Timing Belt unit repair section.
    • Timing belt idler pulley
    • Water pump

To install:

Click image to see an enlarged viewWater pump bolt tightening sequence-3.2L engines
  1. Install or connect the following: Water pump. Tighten the bolts in sequence to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).Timing belt idler pulley. Tighten the bolt to 38 ft. lbs. (52 Nm).Timing beltFront coverAccessory drive beltRadiator hoseNegative battery cable
    • Water pump. Tighten the bolts in sequence to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
    • Timing belt idler pulley. Tighten the bolt to 38 ft. lbs. (52 Nm).
    • Timing belt
    • Front cover
    • Accessory drive belt
    • Radiator hose
    • Negative battery cable
  2. Fill the cooling system.
3.5L Engines
  2. Drain the cooling system.
  3. Remove or disconnect the following: Negative battery cableUpper radiator hoseTiming belt. Refer to the Timing Belt Unit Repair Section.Idler pulleyWater pump
    • Negative battery cable
    • Upper radiator hose
    • Timing belt. Refer to the Timing Belt Unit Repair Section.
    • Idler pulley
    • Water pump

To install:

Click image to see an enlarged viewExploded view of the water pump mounting Click image to see an enlarged viewWater pump torque sequence. Apply LOCTITE® 262 to bolt number 3 (arrow)-3.5L engine NOTE Apply Loctite® 262 to bolt number 3 prior to installation.
  1. Install or connect the following: Water pump. Tighten the bolts in two passes, in sequence, to 13 ft. lbs. (18 Nm) for 3.2L engines or to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm) for 3.5L engines.Idler pulleyTiming beltUpper radiator hoseNegative battery cable
    • Water pump. Tighten the bolts in two passes, in sequence, to 13 ft. lbs. (18 Nm) for 3.2L engines or to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm) for 3.5L engines.
    • Idler pulley
    • Timing belt
    • Upper radiator hose
    • Negative battery cable
  2. Fill the cooling system.

Timing Belt

3.2L & 3.5L Engines

2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  3. Remove the air cleaner assembly and intake air duct.
  4. Remove the upper fan shroud from the radiator.
  5. Remove the 4 nuts retaining the cooling fan assembly. Remove the cooling fan from the fan pulley.
  6. Loosen and remove the drive belts.
  7. Remove the upper timing belt covers.
  8. Remove the fan pulley assembly.
  9. Rotate the crankshaft to align the camshaft timing marks with the pointer dots on the back covers. Verify that the pointer on the crankshaft aligns with the mark on the lower timing cover. NOTE When the timing marks are aligned, the No. 2 piston is at Top Dead Center (TDC) compression. WARNING Align the camshaft and crankshaft sprockets with their alignment marks before removing the timing belt. Failure to align the belt and sprocket marks may result in valve damage.
  10. Use tool No. J-8614-01, or a suitable pulley holding tool to remove the crankshaft pulley center bolt. Remove the crankshaft pulley.
  11. If present, disconnect the 2 oil cooler hose bracket bolts on the timing cover. Move the oil cooler hoses and bracket off of the lower timing cover.
  12. Remove the lower timing belt cover.
  13. Remove the pusher assembly (tensioner) from below the belt tensioner pulley. The pusher rod must always face upward to prevent oil leakage. Depress the pusher rod, and insert a wire pin into the hole to keep the pusher rod retracted.
  14. Remove the timing belt.
  15. Inspect the water pump and replace it if there is any doubt about its condition.
  16. Repair any oil or coolant leaks before installing a new timing belt. If the timing belt has been contaminated with oil or coolant, or is damaged, it must be replaced. Click image to see an enlarged view Using a double clip to hold the belt in place-3.2L and 3.5L engines Click image to see an enlarged view For maximum timing belt life, install the belt as shown-3.2L and 3.5L engines Click image to see an enlarged view View of timing belt tensioner and pusher-3.2L and 3.5L engines Click image to see an enlarged view Timing mark alignment and timing belt routing-3.2L and 3.5L engines Click image to see an enlarged view View of timing belt tensioner pusher-3.2L and 3.5L engines

To install:

1. Verify that the sprocket timing marks are still aligned and that the groove and the keyway on the crankshaft timing sprocket align with the mark on the oil pump. The white pointers on the camshaft timing sprockets should align with the dots on the front plate.
  2. Install the timing belt. Use clips to secure the belt onto each sprocket until the installation is complete. Align the dotted marks on the timing belt with the timing mark opposite the groove on the crankshaft sprocket. NOTE The arrows on the timing belt must follow the belt's direction of rotation. The manufacturer's trademark on the belt's spine should be readable left-to-right when the belt is installed.
  3. Align the white line on the timing belt with the alignment mark on the right bank camshaft timing pulley. Secure the belt with a clip. WARNING If any binding is felt when adjusting the timing belt tension by turning the crankshaft, STOP turning the engine, because the pistons may be hitting the valves.
  4. Rotate the crankshaft counterclockwise to remove the slack between the crankshaft sprocket and the right camshaft timing belt sprocket.
  5. Install the belt around the water pump pulley.
  6. Install the belt on the idler pulley.
  7. Align the white alignment mark on the timing belt with the alignment mark on the left bank camshaft timing belt sprocket.
  8. Install the crankshaft pulley and tighten the center bolt by hand. Rotate the crankshaft pulley clockwise to give slack between the crankshaft timing belt pulley and the right bank camshaft timing belt pulley.
  9. Insert a 1.4mm piece of wire through the hole in the pusher to hold the rod in. Install the pusher assembly while pushing the tension pulley toward the belt.
  10. Pull the pin out from the pusher to release the rod.
  11. Remove the clamps from the sprockets. Rotate the crankshaft pulley clockwise 2 turns. Measure the rod protrusion to ensure it is between 0.16 - 0.24 in. (4 - 6mm).
  12. If the tensioner pulley bracket pivot bolt was removed, tighten it to 31 ft. lbs. (42 Nm).
  13. Tighten the pusher bolts to 14 ft. lbs. (19 Nm).
  14. Remove the crankshaft pulley. Install the lower and upper timing belt covers and tighten their bolts to 12 ft. lbs. (17 Nm).
  15. Fit the oil cooler hose onto the timing cover and tighten its mounting bracket bolts to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).
  16. Install the crankshaft pulley and tighten the pulley bolt to 123 ft. lbs. (167 Nm).
  17. Install fan pulley assembly and tighten the bolts to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).
  18. Install and adjust the accessory drive belts.
  19. Install the cooling fan assembly and tighten the bolts to 72 inch lbs. (8 Nm).
  20. Install the upper fan shroud.
  21. Install the air cleaner assembly and intake air duct.
  22. Connect the negative battery cable.