ike, Honda Certified Gold level Techni
Experience:  9 years experience with Honda/ Acura. 6 years at dealer

2004 honda accord: 4 cyl with the engine light on..analyzer..O2 sensor

I have a 2004 honda accord 4 cyl with the engine light on. I put my engine analyzer on and it says O2 sensor Bank II Sensor II. Do I just need to replace the sensor or is there something else I need to check that could make the sensor look bad? If I need to replace it how do I determine which one is right? There are 1,2,3&4 wire sensors. Some that need splicing and some with connectors.
Category: Honda
Expert:  ike replied 8 years ago.

If it's a P0135, or a P0141, just replace the sensor. These are both heater circuit malfunctions. We do a lot of them. Do't buy aftermarket. Honda computers do not like splices or badly manufactured parts.

On a 4 cyl. the O2 sensors sre both at the catalytic converter. The HO2S S1 is closer to the engine, the HO2S S2 is after the S1.

What code exactly do you have?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to ike's Post: The analyzer read: P0141, 02 sensor heater, circuit malfunction, Bank 1 Sensor 2.

I was hoping to avoid the high priced Honda replacement cost and get an a quaility aftermarket, like Bosch. But you think that's a bad idea?
Expert:  ike replied 8 years ago.

I do. Only because I have had to replace the aftermarket ones before, and they don't last very long for some reason. Every time I have replaced one, my custmer tells me they just replaced it 6 months ago. Generally speaking, Honda cars don't like much of anything afftermarket.

I also checked on warranty extensions, but there are none for this problem.