ike, Honda Certified Gold level Techni
Experience:  9 years experience with Honda/ Acura. 6 years at dealer

2002 Honda: I have a oil leak in the crank seal..long distances

I have a oil leak in the crank seal on my 2002 Honda CR-V. The dealer first said that in wasn''t a dangerous situation. I asked if it would do damage to the vehicle if I didn''t fix it and whether driving long distances would be a problem. He said he wasn''t sure, he would go back to the foreman who looked at it. He then called back and said, the foreman said he wouldn''t drive long distances with it. It has been a small leak for the last 6 months. Will there be any catastrophic damage if I don''t do this repair right now?
NO guarantees can be made about any type of damage. How many miles are on your CR-V, and have you had the timing belt replaced yet?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My car has 66,500 miles on it and they said that they would replace the balance shaft at the same time. There is no timing belt on the 2002 CRV, I'm not sure if the balance shaft serves the same purpose or if there is something called a timing chain?

Sorry, forgot they changed at 02 not 03 like everything else. This one has a timing chain. Replacing the crank seal on this vehicle is not difficult, and waiting to change it will not damage the engine. This vehicle has a balancer shaft, but it does not require replacement.

Older vehicles had a balancer shaft that had a seal, along with the cam and crank seals, the balancer shaft seal was replaced as part of the timing belt replacement because the belt has to be removed to do the seals. Labor to replace the crank seal on your car should be about 2 hours.

Unless it is leaking very steadily, like you can watch it drip while the car is running, you have nothing to worry about. Just make sure you keep an eye on your oil level if you take a long trip. And don't let this bother you.