Richard, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Honda tech. ASE certified technician

I just got a DTC error p2647...had autozone read the ...

Customer Question

I just got a DTC error p2647...had autozone read the code....says that "Rocker arm actuator   A- Bank1 stuck on"....is the just a sensor?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

How low was the oil and how much did you add?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Richard's Post: The oil wasn't low, it was within the 2 dots on the dipstick, it was just closer to the bottom dot.
I had the engine oil replaced about 2,500 miles ago. w/ original honda semi sythetic oil.

I added 1 at of oil 5w-20 semi synthetic and it brought it to the top dot.
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Hello again

DTC P2647: Rocker Arm Oil Pressure Switch (VTEC Oil Pressure Switch) Circuit High Voltage

The first step in diagnosing that code is to check oil level. There is a diag test to check the switch which I'll give you but you would need Honda scan tool. I would have the code cleared and see if it returns with the oil full.

Hopefully this answers your question and you accept. Positive feedback is appreciated and please let me know if I can assist you with anything else.

1. Check the engine oil level. Is the level OK? YES - Go to step 2. NO - Adjust the engine oil to the proper level, then go to step 14.
  2. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).
  3. Clear the DTC with the HDS.
  4. Do the VTEC TEST in the INSPECTION MENU with the HDS. Is the result OK? YES - Intermittent failure, system is OK at this time. Check for poor connections or loose terminals at the rocker arm oil pressure switch (VTEC oil pressure switch) and the ECM/PCM. NO - Go to step 5.
  5. Check the result of step 4.
    • VTEC Switch Failure
    • VTEC Switch Open
    • VTEC Switch SIG Line Open
    • VTEC Switch GND Line Open

Is the test result any of the above?

YES - Go to step 6.

NO - Check for poor connections or loose terminals at the rocker arm oil pressure switch (VTEC oil pressure switch). If it is OK, replace the rocker arm oil control solenoid (VTEC solenoid valve), then go to step 14.

6. Turn the ignition switch OFF.

7. Disconnect the rocker arm oil pressure switch (VTEC oil pressure switch) 2P connector.

8. At the rocker arm oil pressure switch (VTEC oil pressure switch), check for continuity between rocker arm oil pressure switch (VTEC oil pressure switch) 2P connector terminals No. 1 and No. 2. Is there continuity? YES - Go to step 9. NO - Replace the rocker arm oil pressure switch (VTEC oil pressure switch), then go to step 13.

9. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).

10. Measure voltage between rocker arm oil pressure switch (VTEC oil pressure switch) 2P connector terminal No. 1 and body ground. Is there battery voltage? YES - Repair open in the wire between the rocker arm oil pressure switch (VTEC oil pressure switch) and G101,then go to step 13. NO - Go to step 11.

11. Measure voltage between ECM/PCM connector terminal B11 and body ground. Is there battery voltage? YES - Repair open in the wire between the ECM/PCM (B11) and the rocker arm oil pressure switch (VTEC oil pressure switch), then go to step 12. NO - Go to step 19.

12. Turn the ignition switch OFF.

13. Reconnect the rocker arm oil pressure switch (VTEC oil pressure switch) 2P connector.

14. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).

15. Reset the ECM/PCM with the HDS.

16. Do the ECM/PCM idle learn procedure.

17. Check for Temporary DTCs or DTCs with the HDS. Are any Temporary DTCs or DTCs indicated? YES - If DTC P2647 is indicated, check for poor connections or loose terminals at the rocker arm oil pressure switch (VTEC oil pressure switch) and the ECM/PCM, then go to step 1. If any other Temporary DTCs or DTCs are indicated, go to the indicated DTC's troubleshooting. NO - Go to step 18.

18. Monitor the OBD STATUS for DTC P2647 in the DTCs MENU with the HDS. Does the screen indicate PASSED? YES - Troubleshooting is complete. NO - If the screen indicates FAILED, then go to step 1 and recheck. If the screen indicates NOT COMPLETED, go to step 16 and recheck.

1. Update the ECM/PCM if it does not have the latest software, or substitute a known-good ECM/PCM.
  2. Check for Temporary DTCs or DTCs with the HDS. Are any Temporary DTCs or DTCs indicated? YES - If DTC P2647 is indicated, check for poor connections or loose terminals at the rocker arm oil pressure switch (VTEC oil pressure switch) and the ECM/PCM, then go to step 1. If any other Temporary DTCs or DTCs are indicated, go to the indicated DTC's troubleshooting. NO - If the ECM/PCM was updated, troubleshooting is complete. If the ECM/PCM was substituted, replace the original ECM/PCM.