jonathan789
jonathan789, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  12 yrs auto repair experience 2 yrs honda dealership experience
10199176

98 Honda CRV a/c cycles off at idle.

Customer Question

Replaced Compressor
Receiver Dryer
Pressure switch
Condensor fan motor
Evacuated recharged with 23oz 134a
Evap inlet outlet temps 40f
Replaced Clutch Compressor relay
Category: Honda
Expert:  jonathan789 replied 6 years ago.

if it is cooling to 40 degrees it is probably normal there is a switch in the evaporator that turns the compressor off to prevent evaporator freeze up

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to jonathan789's Post: I do not think you understand. To back up from the start. When I bought the CRV the a/c worked ecept when you stopped at idle the a/c clutch wouk engage disengage pop pop pop. So I replace d the compressor thinking clutch was bad. The inlet outlet temps I am referring to are inside the evap. with cabin air filter removed. Ambiet air temp is 92f 42% humidity. The compressor should not cycle over and over at start up. I keep a digital thermometer in the car all the time to monitor the temps. It never cycles the same. But basically at IDLE the a/c clutch cycles off. The vent outlet temp could be 70f or 50f and at idle it cycles off. When your driving and stop at redlight it cycles off.
So the outlet temp from the vents is 50-70 degrees at idle and cools normaly when driving? Check that both coolings fans are coming on and blowing at high speed where did you get your compressor you can check the gap of the clutch click here for spec I like to adjust to tight side of spec when I repace compressor the spec for freon level is 24.7-26.5 oz click here for spec also check condensor and evaporator for anything blocking air flow over them . If all of those things are ok you will need to know what the a/c pressures are on both the high and low sides of the system
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes vent temps vary at idle. Cold start 60+ if you have been driving 50+. Replaced condensor fan thought that was problem. I dont think 1oz of freon will correct my problem just make idle temps hotter. Low side pressure at idle system hot is 45-50 high side 175-200. Nothing blocking evap replaced cabin filter was completly clogged. Helped air flow but not the compressor cycling off for no reason. Dont know about clutch gap. Any more thoughts?
what about the other fan do both fans run? (Cold start 60+ if you have been driving 50+.) explain that I didn't understand what you were saying . Did you properly pull system into a vacuum before charging to remove any air and moisture from system
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
After driving the vent outlet temps will come down if the compressor stays on. Always in the mid 50s but they are always changing as you drive. The compressor will cycle off at 49f when driving back on in the high 50s over and over till you stop then the clutch seems to lose power for some reason regardless of pressures or temps. Yes I evacuated the system for 30 minutes holds 28. If I started it now the compressor will kick off before cabin is cool. Then will come back on and run till ?? It is HOT here in Tennessee today.
so it doesn't cool better where driving right? I'm in the TN heat too right now . Let me look up some info on your crv
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes it cools better but cycles a lot. I think it should keep a more steady temp when driving and not cycle off when I stop. This is my complaint. That is why I measured the expansion valve inlet and outlet temps to check for proper freon level and they where both within 5 degrees of each other so dont think it is fron level. Also condensor temps are within 40 degrees of each other. Thanks for your help.

what did you use to charge system mostly how do you know how much freon was installed? The pressures are alittle high is why I ask . Also check the heater valve to make sure there is no coolant going though the heater core click here for details

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I used a heated charging cylinder and a/c scales.
I agree about the pressures but the compressor should stay on until some thing is cold. It should not cycle off 10 seconds after i start it the wait 30 seconds come back on and then stay on till you start driving and the cycle off. Every time you decelerate before stopping 9 times out of 10 cycles off might stay off till you accelerate again might not. Something is making clutch lose power at idle. Changed clutch relay yesterday and worked great till today and same problem. Thanks
what is idle speed if idle is too low it can turn compressor off
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I think that might be the problem on the compressor shutting off at idle. I have tried to adjust the idle some. I don't have the proper tools. The tach says somewhere around 750 with clutch engaged, higher without. Still doesn't answer why it's not holding a more steady temperature without cycling constantly.
have you checked the heater control valve ? click here for idle adjustment procedure
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am confused by the question. You say heater control valve but the link takes me to Idle procedure. I have tried this procedure but unsure about connecting the tach and what type. Thanks
The answer on June 12 5:25 p.m. has the link for heater control valve see heading "a/c not cold check this first". If you hold rpm abouve idle some does compressor still cycle? Why was the original compressor replaced?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes the original compressor was replaced the clutched "poped" in and out at idle. Yes it still cycles but it is better than the old compressor. So when I am driving should the temperature be going from 48 to 60 constantly and never holding steady? I thought was a good a/c man till this.
no those temps are not normal . I am trying to get as much info from you as I can about your problem have you checked heater control valve?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, I haven't checked that. Just started for the first time today, so it idles faster and the clutch stayed engaged. Vent outlet temp was 58. So maybe idle speed would fix that problem, but not the others. Thanks!
I'm going to repost "opt out " and see if any of the other experts can think of something to help you sorry I couldn't help more
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for trying to help me. I'll be glad to pay you if you want me to.
no thank you I didn't help with your problem