Kyle N.
Kyle N., Honda Master Tech
Experience:  Honda Dealer Tech, ASE Master Auto Tech

1992 honda accord: wagon..4 cyl, we..gas tank..sending unit

1992 honda accord wagon 4 cyl, we just changed the gas tank and fuel pump with sending unit, it started and ran for approximately one hour, we had to leave it alone for about a month and when we tried to start it would turn over, but not start., there is no fuel coming through line at engine, but it would leak along line until we fixed that. what next?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 6 years ago.

Most likely you have a bad main fuel relay under the driver's dash area. It controls the voltage to the pump from the computer. Let me know if you need more help. It's a pretty common part to go out on Accords when you get no fuel.

Kyle N., Honda Master Tech
Experience: Honda Dealer Tech, ASE Master Auto Tech
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Kyle Northrop's Post: Would a relay from a 91 honda accord without cruise control work on a 92 honda accord with cruised control, the pins look same, but overall box is smaller?
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 6 years ago.
Yes it should be the same, the box may have come from a different supply chain if it's smaller. There is no difference inside. Let me know if you need more help.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well, that wasn't it, I even bought a new one from honda dealer and it still won't start. It does turn over, but is not firing, still no fuel from line leading from fuel filter
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
we also changed the fuel filter and still no start, what now?
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 6 years ago.
If you are getting nothing from the pump go to the rear area where the lid is covering the top of the pump and check the yellow wire going into the pump with a voltmeter. When the ignition is turned on the voltage should be 12v for 2 seconds to prime the pump and then it shuts down. While cranking the engine over you should also have 12v at the yellow wire. Let me know if you need more help. If you have voltage here the pump is the problem.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it will be a couple days before we can get back to work on car. should I close this dialog and come back later or should I keep it open, not sure how this works
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 6 years ago.

I would leave this dialog open because it's easier for me to find you. If you close it I may not see your return question.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX back couple days
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 6 years ago.
Okay let me know.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We are back, there is no voltage from yellow wire, we checked fuses but could not find one specifically for fuel pump and none were bad. Does hondas have kill switches. If so where is it located?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what is the possibility that the new main fuel relay could be bad
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is there a way to check the main fuel relay