Steve Cooke
Steve Cooke, Honda Technician
Experience:  16yrs overall: 6yrs Honda (Platinum Level Tech), 5yrs Mercedes-Benz (Master Tech), ASE certified

Honda CR-V: The SRS light is

Customer Question

The SRS light is on in my Honda CR-V 04. Is resetting the computer a do-it-yourself project? If so, do you have the codes. FYI: the other controls on the steering wheel work fine. Just for my information, are these modules model and year specific or could I look for replacements in different quarters?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Steve Cooke replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

When you brought it to the dealer, did they retrieve diagnostic trouble codes for you? If they did, it would be helpful if you could give me the DTC(s). Your vehicle does fall under a warranty extension for the OPDS (occupant position detection system) unit. But as far as resetting the code, yes, you could do it yourself and I'll give you the procedure.

graphic

1. Make sure the ignition switch is OFF.
  2. Connect the SCS service connector (A) to the yellow MES 2P connector (B). Do not use a jumper wire.**
  3. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).

4. The SRS indicator will come on for about 6 seconds, and then go off. Remove the SCS service connector from the MES connector within 4 seconds after the indicator goes off.

5. The SRS indicator will come on again. Reconnect the SCS service connector to the MES connector within 4 seconds after the indicator comes on.

6. When the SRS indicator goes off, remove the SCS service connector from the MES connector within 4 seconds.

7. The SRS indicator will blink two times indicating that the memory has been erased.

8. Turn the ignition switch OFF, and wait for 10 seconds.

9. Turn the ignition switch ON (II) again. The SRS is OK if the SRS indicator comes on for 6 seconds and then goes off.

**this procedure can be done with a jumper wire; it's just a little more tricky making sure you hit the contacts each time you plug and unplug.

If the information that I've provided you with is helpful to you, I would appreciate you clicking on the ACCEPT button and feedback is always helpful to me. Thanks!

Steve Cooke, Honda Technician
Experience: 16yrs overall: 6yrs Honda (Platinum Level Tech), 5yrs Mercedes-Benz (Master Tech), ASE certified
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
They did not give me the DTCs - after all, I'm a "girl"!

Does the code go by model or VIN?

Well, that's an unfortunate stereotype. Even more unfortunate is that it's often true.

The codes are determined by the manufacturer and, depending on equipment, will mean the same thing from one model to the next. (eg; DTC 9-3 is a seat belt buckle switch fault, which is the same on Civics, Accords, CR-Vs, etc.)

If you wanted to, you could call the dealer and ask them to look in their files for the DTC for you. I know that we have to document pretty much everything that we find on every vehicle we work on. This way if the vehicle returns for the same problem, it comes back to the technician who did the work the first time. It shouldn't be a big deal.

If you were to perform the clearing procedure that I've provided you with, and the DTC returns, the SRS light will come back on. If it comes back on right away, you have a current fault and if it takes a little while, you have an intermittent fault.

If you'd like me to see if your vehicle is covered by the warranty extension, I could check that for you if you were to provide me with your VIN#.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you Steve,
I checked with the dealer;my CRV is not eligible for the warranty extension. I will call them and see if I can get any info from the last service call. They want to sell me a $90+ diagnostic test.
Possible options:
1. if I can get a list of codes from the dealer, could I run a trial and error until one worked?

2. Can be detected through the control module?

3. I may just have to bite the bullet and get the diagnosis done.
Any advice or feedback is appreciated.

Let me break it down as you've asked:

1. If you get the DTC(s) from the dealer, let me know what they were. I'm pretty sure that it was probably only one code; it's somewhat unusual (but not impossible) to have multiple DTCs, especially in the SRS system. As far as trial and error, SRS components will get expensive, fast. We can narrow it down with the code and hopefully come up with a singular solution.
  2. Yes, the code is stored in the SRS control unit and can be retrieved, but only with the Honda diagnostic system. Sorry.
  3. I don't understand why you should have to pay more for diagnostic time if they've already done the diagnosis (which I assume they've done if they came up with a recommended repair)? Has it been a while? Were you charged for diagnostic time the first time around?

Respond back if you get anymore info or need anymore assistance.

And again, If the information that I've provided you with is helpful to you, I would appreciate you clicking on the ACCEPT button and feedback is always helpful to me. Thanks!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm making an appointment for a diagnositc test at my dealers; I may not be able to get it until next week. I want to go ahead and accept for now, but as soon as I have the code I will contact you again. Thank you so much; you have helped a lot and I really appreciate your service and will use it again.

Thank you very much for the ACCEPT and I'm glad I could provide a positive experience for you.

Good luck and when you're ready, just post another message to this question.