drewburmeister
drewburmeister, Acura Master Technician
Experience:  10 years experience. ASE Master Tech, Acura Master Tech, Acura platinum level
9331973

Can I unjam a CD from the 6-disc CD changer in my 03 ...

Can I unjam a CD from the 6-disc CD changer in my ''03 Honda Accord? The problem started when I tried to switch from one disc (already in, and playing) to another (already in). The player wouldn''t make the switch and wouldn''t play any disc. The radio and heater/AC controls on the panel still work, but it won''t go into "CD mode" any more. The eject button doesn''t seem to do anything. Can I get the system to eject the discs some other way? Do I need to remove the panel and player? (And is that possible without special tools and expertise?) Thanks for your help.
Category: Honda
Expert:  drewburmeister replied 6 years ago.

Hi-

I don't have very good news for you. You will not be able to get out those cd's. Even if you were to take out the radio and open it up you would not be able to get them out. If you opened the radio you would have to take out the whole carriage assembly, and you would never get it back in. I have opened one up and it is impossible. Most dealerships can send out the radio to get it repaired. I believe my dealership charges $225.00 for sending it out. This does not include the labor charge for removal and install. They will send you your cd's in the mail after it is taken apart. The bad part about this is it takes a few weeks, and during this time you have a big empty spot in your dash. However it is much better than paying about $850.00 for a new radio plus labor. Hope this helps out.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That's kinda what I suspected.

Looking around the internet, I found that many people are having this kind of problem, and I hoped that if I have to take it to the dealer Honda might allow some sort of goodwill warranty extension since this is a "known" problem. (The most common cause seems to be from homemade CDs with labels which jam inside the player.   But my CDs don't have labels on them.) Have you heard of any Honda policy like that?

Anyway, thanks for the kind response and good advice.

Unfortunately this is a common problem. Honda dealerships do have the right to do a one time goodwill warrenty. This will depend on how good a customer you have been to the dealership. If you have done all your services and spent money with them they might consider it. However if you only do oil changes they might say too bad. Good luck to you! Let me know if you need any other help.

drewburmeister, Acura Master Technician
Experience: 10 years experience. ASE Master Tech, Acura Master Tech, Acura platinum level