HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level

93 Honda accord: Radiator good, thermastat good, cooling..runs hot

Customer Question

Have a 93 Honda accord. Radiator good, thermastat good, cooling sensor good, but still runs hot. The front fan comes on, the aircondition fan comes on. But, when the car runs for 5 minutes, the temperature continues to rise. Before it gets to hot, we shut it off and the radiator is about to boil over. HELP!
Category: Honda
Expert:  Craig replied 8 years ago.

Welcome to the site.

Is the engine using coolant? Are you having to add coolant?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Craig's Post: Yes, added coolant. Changed the temperture
sending unit
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No. We haven't had to add coolant. The water level is fine in the radiator
Expert:  Craig replied 8 years ago.
check your other request
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Craig's Post: WHAT?
Expert:  Craig replied 8 years ago.
quoted from the second question you asked me.

Sorry, no computer access in the afternoon. Has the water pump been changed recently?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
good night. please email with other information. Please advise.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No the water pump has not been changed.
What is the general cost for a mechanic to change a water pump. The car has 230000 miles.
Expert:  Craig replied 8 years ago.
The water pump change would cost anywhere from $350-$650 depending upon where you go. I would be interested to know if the water pump still has the metal impellor on it. The only way to know for sure is to remove the pump and check it. The only other thing that I would suspect would be a possible head gasket problem but I would have the water pump replaced.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you. We don't suspect a head gasket problem, but lets hope not. The car was in a minor accident. Front passenger head light assembly needs to be replaced, hood is slightly bent, and small buckling on right fender. The radiator is kinda loose. (moves back and forth) about two inches. It only started running hot after the accident. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you for your time and consideration.
Expert:  Craig replied 8 years ago.
check the lower radiator hose and make sure its not being pinched off but other than that, the accident shouldn't have made any difference.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Craig's Post: we did, no problem there, thanks for all your help
Expert:  Craig replied 8 years ago.

I would have the water pump changed first and see what happens, especially if it hasn't been changed that you know of. I have seen the metal impeller rust off on the water pump which doesn't allow the pump to circulate coolant.

Also, I have an Accord with an overheating problem that had the radiator flushed at Pep boys and the flush clogged the radiator. The head gasket is still a possibility. I have seen the gaskets go bad enough to cause the compression heat to superheat the coolant. You can check the with a test strip you can get at the auto parts store that checks for exhaust in the coolant.