Steve
Steve, Service Manager
Experience:  25+ years experience as a professional technician; ASE L1 Master Technician
157173

1999 Honda Civic: drive cycle..Replaced battery..driven..emissions

I need to reset the drive cycle for my 1999 Honda Civic. Replaced battery in January, have driven nearly every day since, can''t get it to reset. Need to have emissions completed, help! Have been to emissions four times, every time I am told I need to reset the drive cycle as the OBD are not ready.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.

hello!

if you do not have the factory scan tool to force the monitors to run, there is a manual drive cycle procedure. The odds of completing all of teh required steps during normal everyday driving to work and back are not very good. Here is teh drice procedure you need to complete without interruption:

Step 1: (Engine Cold; it is very important to start with the engine cold or the process will NOT work!) Start engine, idle 20 seconds. Accelerate gradually and drive at 20-25 mph for 1 minute, varying speed.

Step 2: Accelerate gradually to 32 mph within 35 seconds. Decelerate to 0 mph in 10 seconds. Idle for 40 seconds.

Step 3: Accelerate at part throttle to 25 mph in 10 seconds. Cruise at 17-25 mph for 15 seconds. Accelerate gradually to 57 mph in 45 seconds. Cruise at 50-56 mph for 1 minute. Decelerate gradually to 0 mph in 40 seconds. Idle for 15 seconds.

Step 4: Accelerate at part throttle to 36 mph and maintain for 10 seconds. Decelerate to 0 mph in 15 seconds. Idle for 5 seconds.

Step 5: Accelerate to 30 mph and back to 0 mph within 30 seconds. Idle for 20 seconds.
Step 6: Accelerate to 36 mph inXXXXXat 35 mph for 20 seconds. Decelerate to 0 mph in 15 seconds. Idle 5 seconds.

Step 7: Accelerate gradually to 26 mph and decelerate to 0 within 40 seconds. Idle 15 seconds.

Step 8: Accelerate to 27 mph in 40 seconds. Decelerate to 0 mph in 10 seconds. Idle 25 seconds.

Step 9: Accelerate to 26 mph in 15 seconds, maintain speed for 10 seconds, decelerate to 0 mph in 10 seconds. Idle 15 seconds.

Step 10 : Accelerate to 23 mph in 20 seconds, decelerate to 0.5 mph in 10 seconds (no complete stop). Accelerate to 28 mph and back to 0 mph (momentary stop 1 second) within 35 seconds.

Step 11 Accelerate gradually to 34 mph in 45 seconds. Vary speed between 34 and 19 mph for 2 minutes. Decelerate from 25 to 0 mph in 25 seconds. Idle for 5 seconds.

Step 12: Accelerate to 29 mph in 15 seconds, decelerate gradually to 0 mph in 45 seconds. Idle for 30 seconds.

Step 13: Accelerate gradually to 28 mph and back to 0 mph (momentary stop 1 second) within 50 seconds. Accelerate gradually to 27 mph and back to 0 mph within 55 seconds. Idle for 15 seconds.

Step 14: Accelerate to 24 mph and back to 0 mph within 18 seconds. Idle for 10 seconds. Accelerate gradually to 22 mph and back to 0 mph within 50 seconds. Idle for 8 seconds.

Step 15: Accelerate gradually to 30 mph within 50 seconds. Decelerate to 0 mph in 10 seconds. Idle for 25 seconds.

Step 16 : Accelerate to 23 mph and back to 0 mph within 30 seconds. Idle for 10 seconds.

Step 17: Repeat steps 1 - 16 once again. Recheck the status of the "Readiness Monitors".

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Steve7654's Post: Is this really the only other way to manually set the drive cycle? I did this last night, was pulled over by the police, they told me to be careful, let me go, and I will take this in for emissions test today. I will be back with you later. I don't understand why this is so complicated, just because I had a dead battery.
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.

Yes, it is a very complicated drive cycle; I am not the engineer that designed it though...

I'm not sure why you were stopped by the police; the maximum speed attained in the drive cycle is 34 mph.

Alternatively, you can take the vehicle in to your local Honda dealership and have tehm use their scan tool to force the various monitors to run; this would save you a lot of time, aggravation, and repeated visits to the emission testing station...

Steve, Service Manager
Experience: 25+ years experience as a professional technician; ASE L1 Master Technician
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
Hello!
I have noticed that you have not responded and the question you asked is still open.
If you still require further assistance with this question, please let me know.
If not, then please click the accept button to close the question.
Thanks!