lorunner
lorunner, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  13yrs honda tech, 18yrs in the business, ASE certified, honda school and training

shifts hard into 2nd gear (auto)

shifts real hard into 2nd gear ..I just changed the motor mount onthe passenger side of engine...it has a trouble code of 1491 ...insuffiecient lift on EGR ..99 Accord V6
Category: Honda
Expert:  lorunner replied 6 years ago.

That year actually had a problem with the EGR and the ports clogging. That would set the P1491 that you have. You can replace the EGR valve but to clean out the port you will need a special drill that is only available through Honda. This drill enlarges the port to accept a sleeve to prevent future clogging.

Also the front motor mount (the one by the radiator) are also prone to breaking. This will give you an obvious thump when you take off from a stop.

If you fix the EGR and find that the other mounts are ok than i would suspect a problem inside the trans.

lorunner, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 13yrs honda tech, 18yrs in the business, ASE certified, honda school and training
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
would the egr have anything to do with the transmission shifting hard into 2nd gear.???? the only time it shifts hard (Makes the dash shake) is when it shifts into 2nd gear
Expert:  lorunner replied 6 years ago.

The symptoms of an EGR are usually at take off a shudder or hesitation. And also cruising around 50 would give a bucking sensation. Not really a hard shift.

If your doing 50 mph and put your foot to the floor. When it downshifts does it bang or is it smooth?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It does bang    ...a little when it down shifts. sometimes when you put it in drive and go to take off ....seems to maybe slip alittle and then takes off....slips just slightly enough to feel like it hit a patch of ice for just a second and then drives fine ...other than when it shifts into 2nd ...and it only shifts hard when its over half throddle
Expert:  lorunner replied 6 years ago.
Whats the mileage on the car?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
130,000
Expert:  lorunner replied 6 years ago.

Well there was a warrenty extension on theses tranny's. it was 7 year/ 100k miles. I think that 130 may be a little high for honda to replace it.

Do you have an Aamco around by you? If so look into it and see if they offer any type of free transmition check. They may be able to confirm wether its a trans issue or not. If i was there and able to drive the car i would be able to pick it up right away but unfortunately im not.