RIP
RIP, Lead Technician
Experience:  Master ASE technician, Honda/Acura aftermarket training, Hybrid training, Adv. level L1
1100518

When driving my 1992 honda accord lx it stalls.After ...

When driving my 1992 honda accord lx it stalls.After towing it home it started again. What could be causing this problem?
Category: Honda
Expert:  RIP replied 6 years ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer.

1. Did it stall coming to a stop? Or while driving?
  2. Has it been running fine ever since?
  3. Was the check engine lamp on, before it stalled? Or now?

Rip

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It stalled while driving,I had to coast to the side of the road. The check engine light was never on. This has happened three times within a 6 month period,other wise the car runs fine.
Expert:  RIP replied 6 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX a common failure of either the Ignition Coil, or Ignitor in side the distributor. Usually the best bet is to replace the entire distributor to elliminate any of the components in side. The only way we'll trully know for sure what is going on is if you can test for spark and fuel while the engine is dead and not firing. Besides the distribiutor the other two common problems are the Main relay under the left side of the dash or the ignition switch in the steering column. The ignition switch is actually under recall still for the same exact problem. If you call your dealer and give them the VIN number of the car, they can run a search to see if the switch has ever been replaced in the life of the car under the recall, if not, explain your symptoms and they should take care of it for you. There's a 80% chance that one of the items I listed above are causing the intermmittant stall, however, there are many other out of the ordinary causes of stalls like this as well. Becuase of the intermittancy, it will be very difficult for any shop to diagnose it and so I recommend getting some of the less expensive alternatives out of the way, such as the Main Relay and ignition switch. Let me know if you plan on taking on the repairs yourself and I can provide some instruction.

Rip

RIP, Lead Technician
Experience: Master ASE technician, Honda/Acura aftermarket training, Hybrid training, Adv. level L1