Steve, Service Manager
Experience:  25+ years experience as a professional technician; ASE L1 Master Technician

I threw a rod through my engine block. How much should it ...

I threw a rod through my engine block. How much should it cost to replace my engine with a new part?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Steve replied 8 years ago.

According to honda's published parts and labor prices, a short block engine assembly sells for $2702.45. YOu will also need some gaskets, fluids, etc; on most vehicles this adds around $300 to the engine cost.

The flat rate labor time to replace the short block engine is 17.3 hours. Labor rates vary between diffetrent shops and different parts of the country, but national median is around $75/hr; for a labor cost of about $1300.00

This gives a general ballpark total cost for the job of around $4300.00

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Steve7654's Post: Steve, thanks for your thoughts. What is a labor rate in Los Angeles/Santa Monica? Based on your time estimate, I'm being quoted about $110. The engine parts came in at $2,957, so it looks like a 9+% markup. The total, excluding tax, is about $4,700. Does that make sense to you or should I shop around a bit?