Craig
Craig, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  11 Yrs Honda Dealership Experience, Honda Platinum Certification 2003, ASE Master with L1 Advanced
6983326

1996 Honda Accord EX: tranny..DTC..flushed..the Check Engine Light

I have a 1996 Honda Accord EX auto tranny with DTC P0740. I have flushed the transmission and changed the lockup solenoid (but not the shift solenoid). I reset the Check Engine Light, but still get the same code. Should I try changing the shift solenoid before chalking this up to a new transmission? I''m getting a bit of a hard shift in between gears two and three - but nothing major. Thanks
Category: Honda
Expert:  Craig replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to the site.

How many miles do you have on this car? If you have less than 150K this may be covered under warranty. If not, this is the repair that you need to do. You will need to have access to a tester that can read the VSS in the stored memory.

98-040

July 28, 1998

Applies To: XXXXX XXXXX - ALL 4-cylinder

Diagnostic Trouble Code PO74O

PROBLEM

The Malfunction Indicator Lamp is on, and the Powertrain Control Module has stored an automatic transmission SAE DTC of P0740 (Honda DTC of 40).

CORRECTIVE ACTION

Retrieve the freeze data with the PCM Tester. Depending on the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) value, follow the appropriate procedure in this service bulletin.

WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION

In warranty:
The normal warranty applies.

Out of warranty:
Any repair performed after warranty expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by the District Service Manager or your Zone Office. You must request consideration, and get a decision, before starting work.

DIAGNOSIS

1. Connect the PGM Tester to the OBD II connector (in the center console under the ashtray).
2. Select the Honda test mode.
3. Select "Transmission" from the menu, then select "Freeze Data."
4. Read and record the VSS vehicle speed value.
^ If the VSS value is between 63 and 75 mph, go to REPAIR PROCEDURE A.
^ If the VSS value is between 52 and 57 mph, go to REPAIR PROCEDURE B.

REPAIR PROCEDURE A

Replace the PCM with an improved unit (see PARTS INFORMATION).

REPAIR PROCEDURE B

1. Clear the DTC with the PGM Tester.
2. Raise the car.
3. Drain the transmission, then refill it with Genuine Honda ATF.
4. Start the engine, and release the parking brake.
5. Shift to D4, then bring the speed up to 50 mph. Make sure the transmission shifts through all four gears and the torque converter locks up.
6. Apply the brakes to bring the speed to zero.
7. Shift to reverse, then to neutral.
8. Repeat steps 5, 6, and 7 four more times.
9. Turn off the engine.
10. Repeat steps 3 through 9 two more times.
11. Drain the transmission and refill it with Genuine Honda ATF. Reinstall the drain plug with a new washer.
12. With the engine fully warmed up, drive the vehicle for five minutes at 52 to 57 mph with the selector lever in the D4 position.
^ If a DTC P0740 recurs, replace the transmission with a remanufactured unit. Refer to service bulletin 90-014, Automatic Transmission In-Warranty Exchange Program.
^ If the transmission does not code again, return the vehicle to the customer.

Hope that helps.
Craig, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 11 Yrs Honda Dealership Experience, Honda Platinum Certification 2003, ASE Master with L1 Advanced