Craig
Craig, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  11 Yrs Honda Dealership Experience, Honda Platinum Certification 2003, ASE Master with L1 Advanced
6983326

2002 Honda Accord EX: Cylinder..that idles too low at stops..stall

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Honda Accord EX 4 Cylinder that idles too low at stops. Occasioanly it will stall. I have read about Idle learn procedure. Is this possible on the 02 4 Cylinder? If not what other things can I clean/check?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Craig replied 8 years ago.
Welcome to the site.

Is the check engine light on?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Craig's Post: no the check engine light has never come on
Expert:  Craig replied 8 years ago.
You can unhook the battery, leave it unhooked for a few minutes and then start the car up and let it idle until the fans come on. That will perform the idle learn for you. The other thing you can try is to adjust the idle speed. On the throttle body, there is an idle adjustment screw. I would start by turning the screw all the way in (it may already be at this point) Start by turning the screw counterclockwise 3 half turns (1-1/2 revolutions) This should set the idle at its base speed so the computer can still control the idle speed.

I would adjust the screw first and then unhook the battery and do the idle learn.

graphic
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi
I used your picture of the throthle body but I could not locate the idle. One of the openings was very small and I tried it with a very small screwdriver with no success. The other opening had a wax like coating over it and I was afraid to peel it away. I did the reset with the battery but I didn't notice much of cahnge in the idle. Any other pictures of that throttle body?
Expert:  Craig replied 8 years ago.
That wax covered opening is the idle set screw. They cover it from the factory to keep the adjustment from moving. Scrap this cover away and you will find the screw.