Craig
Craig, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  11 Yrs Honda Dealership Experience, Honda Platinum Certification 2003, ASE Master with L1 Advanced

The oil pressure switch on a h22 VTEC engine..oil leak..oil filter

Customer Question

Where is the oil pressure switch on a h22 VTEC engine? I have a squirting massive oil leak right above the oil filter, but can''t see where it is coming from. Thank you
Category: Honda
Expert:  Craig replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to the site.

Here is the location of the oil pressure switch. If its leaking from above the oil filter, its probably not the oil pressure switch.

graphic
Craig, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 11 Yrs Honda Dealership Experience, Honda Platinum Certification 2003, ASE Master with L1 Advanced
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your response. I am a VW Master Technician and I appreciate what you do. You answered 100% my question. I would have liked to refrase that to get a better idea of what else it could be, but I asked what I asked. At first I could not quiet tell where the leak was coming from, but it was a severe squirt. I have checked it closely and it does look like coming from below the oil filter. I will get the car up and look at that. Thank you again.
Expert:  Craig replied 6 years ago.
Its probably the $3 oil cooler oring. Check out this pictures for details. They get hard and brittle and crack and leak oil all over the place. Remove the bolt from the middle of the oil cooler and replace this oring.

graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Craig,

I want to let you know that the information you gave me is incorrect. The oil pressure switch is not in the location you indicated. The picture you sent does not applpy to this car. Again this is a 1997 Prelude VTEC H22 engine. The left axle is not like the one in the picture you sent me. Please let me know if you have the correct information. I think it might be the oil cooler o ring. Tomorrow I will lift the car and start it and check it out. Again, my axle looks different from the picture you sent me.

Thank you,

Juan
Expert:  Craig replied 6 years ago.
Are you working on the SH model?

That info is from a 97 h22 prelude unless you are working on the SH model then the atts unit will be where that axle is. There is a big difference between the base h22 and the SH h22 prelude
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is the SH Prelude. Sorry. I am new to honda.
Expert:  Craig replied 6 years ago.
Ok. How about this one.

graphic

Very few SH preludes were made thankfully. They are a miserable machine to work on because of that stupid ATTS system.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What a pain. Can I change the cooler oring from the top? Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Craig replied 6 years ago.
I think the only way you can do it is from the top. No way to reach it from the bottom. I can't get find any good instructions on how to replace it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no prob. looks like from the top. I think i can figure it out. thank you again for all your help.
Expert:  Craig replied 6 years ago.
No problem. Sorry for the mixup.