RIP, Lead Technician
Experience:  Master ASE technician, Honda/Acura aftermarket training, Hybrid training, Adv. level L1

1996 accord 4 cyl, shows P0740 check engine light code.

1996 accord 4 cyl, shows P0740 check engine light code. Appears to run normally. Had shown another transmission communication code before, had ECM replaced previously. Suggestions for further tests, etc. or repair suggestions.
Category: Honda
Expert:  RIP replied 8 years ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answers,

Typically this code (P0740 - Torque Convertor Clutch failure) is followed by a faulty TCC solinoid on the transmission or by faulty hydrolic components in the transmission. I would replace the solinoid first, clear the codes and see if the problem persists...since your not experiencing any other symptoms, there's a good chance the transmission isn't due for an overhaul. Also, if you haven't already you should flush thetransmission fluid with Honda help ensure the internal transmission components stay good.

Location of TCC solinoid.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I assume that the TCC solenoid is the same as the lock-up control solenoid valve assembly. Is there anything unusual in replaceing the TC solenoid or is it just a matter of removal and replacement? Are there any gaskets involved? Any torque values to be observed?
The transmission was flushed and fluid replaced at the local Honda dealer in June, 'o7.
Expert:  RIP replied 8 years ago.

Nothin special, just bolts on and off...there is a little o-ring on it, just make sure you have a new one on and I like to spray them down with WD-40 to help ease the install. The TCC is the same as the Lock Up solinoid..don't worry about torque value it is in inch punds (little torque) and most people don't have access to an inch pund torque wrench...tighten the bolt snug with a 1/4 inch rachet.