TopTech
TopTech, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  100% HONDA CERTIFIED MASTER TECH. SEVERAL YEARS AT CURRENT HONDA DEALERSHIP. TEAM / SHOP LEAD.
7520038

2001 Honda Civic: ) and the green key light keeps blinking...Do you

I have a 2001 Honda Civic (4-door) and the green "key" light keeps blinking...Do you know why?
Category: Honda
Expert:  TopTech replied 6 years ago.

Hello....welcome to JA....quick question for ya............If the key that you are starting your car with an original or one cut and programmed by the dealership? Also, does your car start and run? thanks for answering these questions for me quick.....-toptech-

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to TopTech's Post: Yes, it is an original key that I received from the Honda Dealership...and, yes, it turns over and runs...however...the green key light keeps blinking...what do you think?
Expert:  TopTech replied 6 years ago.

-You have got one of two problems and the only way to know for sure is to view the vehicle with a HDS. (a computer that reads the computer in your car designed for honda vehicles by Honda)

-First off, your vehicle shouldn't even be running. when you first turn the key on, the green key light on your dash should come on for 2 seconds and go off. That is the signal sent from the Immobilizer control unit to the ecm/pcm and back again. So, since your vehicle has started and is running with the light still flashing, then you either have a faulty Immobilier Control Unit or you have a faulty ECM/PCM. The immob. control unit is much cheaper to replace, but neither require a bunch of labor to do..A couple hours shop charge at most.

-I hope this has helped...also on a side note, I would not have this work done by someone other than a dealership due to the necessary computer.

-Please leave feedback when you get a chance........thankyou.........-toptech-

TopTech, Honda Mechanic
Experience: 100% HONDA CERTIFIED MASTER TECH. SEVERAL YEARS AT CURRENT HONDA DEALERSHIP. TEAM / SHOP LEAD.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your assistance. I notice it does it in the morning when it is cold...and then it will stop later in the day...hmmm? Merry! Merry!

Thanks,

Robin
Expert:  TopTech replied 6 years ago.

Merry, Merry is right...That is the first time I have ever heard of this kind of problem. I would set an appt. at the dealership to have the key reprogrammed and make it for a time when you can leave the vehicle overnight so that the tech. working on your car has plenty of time to let it sit and verify what it is doing when it is cold. Is anything else on your car being funny? Interior light staying on? Does the dash say a door is open? Courtesy lights not come on when you open your door to get into the car? Anything like that going on?

Shoot some answers back when you get a chance. Happy Holidays Robin..................-toptech-