JHoop
JHoop, Honda Technician
Experience:  14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner
4700517

I have computer errod code p1259 (CRV 202 Vtec 2.4 engine).

I have computer errod code p1259 (CRV 202 Vtec 2.4 engine). The engine light comes on, and the car chugs or chockes, especially when increasing fuel demend.
Category: Honda
Expert:  JHoop replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What year is your Honda?
-What model is your Honda?
-How many miles are on your Honda?
-What type of engine is in your Honda?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to JHoop's Post: 2002 CRV Honda with 80,000 miles. 2.4 1-VTEC. I have done nothing yet, but after reading the shop manual, suspect problem with the VTC solenoid valve, or oil control valve and strainer. I need to know your input on error code p1259... and location of VTEC solenoid valve and VTC oil control valve and strainer.
Thanks,
George
Expert:  JHoop replied 7 years ago.
Hey george, JHoop here.

I'm going to give it to you straight out of the Service Manual.
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
graphic

graphic

George...thats everything. If you have any more questions, please don't hesisitate to ask...Thanks again, JHoop
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks JH!
    I had already disconected the battery to errase codes and started anew. Code p1259 came back after a :10-15 minute drive. I pulled over and shut the ignition off for a few seconds and restarted. I had no problems during that drive. The problem is intermitent.

I will follow the manual's instructions and will let you know how it went.
Thanks again,
George
Expert:  JHoop replied 7 years ago.
Hey George, JHoop here.

If you have any more questions, please don't hesisitate to ask...Thanks again, JHoop
JHoop, Honda Technician
Experience: 14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to JHoop's Post: Hello JH,
I had not answered your last post because I wanted to try out the car for a few days to see if the problem came back was was cured with your guidence.

I followed the steps listed on your attached Honda repair manual pages, and found no electrical problems with wiring. I was going to replace the VTEC oil pressure switch and VTEC solenoid valve, but Honda only sells the entire VTC unit (including the oil pressure switch, the solenoid and the valve and screen). so, I replaced everything. (by the way, the old screen was about 50% clogged... which led me to belive that was my problem).
    Also, I took the car in to have an oil change, filter, and also opted to have an oil system flush---just to make sure the entire lube system is clean. I had the oil replaced with a full syntheic top of the line oil.

I drove the car for two or three days without a hitch; however, the problem is back again. It is intermitent, as it was before. The car chugs and chockes at 4000 and higher rpm. The engine light comes and goes with the problem. Most times it runs like a new car, but then the engine light comes on, and it runs like crap. This problem is not evident at idle speeds.

Any other ideas?
Thanks,
George
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hello again JH,

I am resending my last post... apparently you didn't get it.

Here it goes:

I had answered your last post or accepted yet because I wanted to try out the car for a few days to see if the problem came back, or was was cured with the work I did, and with your guidence. ---JH, iIf you recall, my problem with error code P1259 was intermitent. The car would run fine, then the engine light would come on and the car would chug along.

I followed the steps listed on your attached Honda repair manual pages, and found no electrical problems with wiring. I had intended to replace both, the VTEC oil pressure switch and VTEC solenoid valve, but Honda only sells the entire VTC unit (including the oil pressure switch, the solenoid and the valve and screen). So, I replaced everything. (by the way, the old screen was about 50% clogged... which led me to belive that was my problem).
Also, I took the car in to have an oil change, filter, and also opted to have an oil system flush---just to make sure the entire lube system is clean---I had the oil replaced with a full syntheic top of the line oil.

PS: Do you think the oil flush, and switching to full synthetic oil could be causing the problem now?

Any other ideas?
Thanks,
George

Expert:  JHoop replied 7 years ago.
HeyCustomer JHoop here.

Sorry I haven't got back to sooner, its been one hecktic week. OK. Let me see what else I can dig up and I will get back to you soon.