Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Aftermarket & Factory Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years. R/S, etc.

2005 honda: headphones work with the radio and the cd

i am trying to play my DVD in my 2005 honda odyssey and there is not sound on the wireless headphones. the headphones work with the radio and the cd but not the dvd player

You need to check the plug behind the DVD Unit:

There is a TSB on this exact problem:

Honda Service News December 2004

No DVD Sound From the Wireless Headphones

2005 Odyssey EX-L or Touring model

If the digital audio 2P connector from the DVD player unit to the audio unit is loose, or it has an open or a short, you'll wind up with this situation:

- You can't hear any DVD sound through the wireless headphones, yet it comes out through the speakers OK.

- You can hear the radio through the wireless headphones.

- The RES display works normally.

To fix this problem, make any needed repairs, and make sure the connector is properly plugged into the audio unit.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The wires were checked for any loose wires and shorts but I will check again. I know that when we were at the dealership it worked once but they could not get it to work again. They kept pressing buttons and they got it to work. I am unsure of how to use the controls on the dashboard to make sure the sound is working on the DVD. I can get the sound for the radio and the CD but the DVD seems to be different. Is there a certain button that has to be pushed.
Do you have Navigation Unit?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to MoLurch's Post: No

Turn the rear entertainment system ON.
After the main power switch "VOL PUSH PWR" is turned ON, push "REAR PWR" switch to turn the rear system ON. To turn the rear system OFF, push "REAR PWR", and to turn the whole system OFF, push "VOL PUSH PWR".

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you very much. I just went outside and I turned the car on, then turned on the main power switch and then the rear power switch and then it worked. THANK YOU, XXXXX XXXXX THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
do you why this is the case? Why do you have to do it this way and why did Honda not tell us this when we brought it in there and then they could not get it to work again. Do you know anythign about the sudden stopping of the headphones after 30 minutes of playing a DVD, I read that a lot of Honda Odyssey customers have had this problem?

Be sure that someone isn't inadvertantly hitting the Switch or stopping the DVD.
Also, be sure the Batteries for the Headphones are Good. Some will shut off if there isn't a signal after 30 seconds.
They are having different problems with the DVD, but no Recall or Total Fix.

THANK YOU.....Very Much
Thanks for using J/A