ttiger79
ttiger79, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, Advanced Engine Performance
2207141

My 2002 honda odyssey just developed an oil leak at

My 2002 honda odyssey just developed an oil leak at the rear engine seal. I talk with a former Honda mechanic and he said this is a common occurance. Can you verify this for me?
Category: Honda
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 9 years ago.
Hi!
The rear engine seal isn't terribly common on this particular motor. However, oil leaks due to porous spots in the aluminum engine block casting is common. There are two spots in particular that you will need to check if the oil is coming from the inside of the transmission bellhousing (where the rear engine seal is located.) Here's a diagram of the two spots of concern:
graphic

The oil leaks from these passages and drops down to the bottom of the transmission. This in turn can be mistaken for a leaking rear engine seal. There is a technical service bulletin for this concern.

Let me know if you have any more questions!
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Is there a way to check this without pulling the transmisiion?
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 9 years ago.
Unfortunately, no. The transmission is bolted right up over the two oil passages on the back side of the motor. This is listed as a 7.5 hour job to repair the passages.