Steve, Service Manager
Experience:  25+ years experience as a professional technician; ASE L1 Master Technician

How do I replace a clutch in a 95 Honda Civic

I tore out the clutch in my car and need to replace it. Is this a very difficult task?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Steve replied 9 years ago.

Replacing a clutch involves a lot of disassembly; in particular you have to remove the drive axles and the transmission itself to gain access to the clutch. So, yes, it is a fairly difficult task that involves a certain amount of heavy lifting (you have to remove and reinstall the 150 lb transmission while working on your back under the car with it supported on a lift or jack stands).

If youa re familiar with basic disassembly procedures, have the equipment to safely raise and support the vehicle, and have a torque wrench and clutch alignment tool set to reinstall the components, and feel capable of handling the heavy transmission I can look up the procedure for you; otherwise I would suggest taking this particular repair in to a shop to have done. There are a lot of things that can go wrong during a clutch replacement, and it is noit an easy task. The job is much easier and safer to do with professional lifting equipment. There are many things that can easily be done at ome in the driveway, but this is not really one of them...

Hope this is helpful; if so, please click my accept button! Thanks!