Kyle N.
Kyle N., Honda Master Tech
Experience:  Honda Dealer Tech, ASE Master Auto Tech
652461

For a 1995 Honda Accord - how do I unlock my shift lock.

The only way I can shift my automatic transmission out of Park is to put the ignition key in the shift unlock and move the shift lever. Once the shift lever is returned to Park it becomes locked again.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 10 years ago.

Hi, thanks for the question. It sounds like you have an out of adjustment shift cable OR the shift interlock switch solenoid is bad. To check the interlock switch solenoid all you have to do is put the key in the second position and put your head close to the shifter and push in the brake pedal in. It should make a click sound. If it clicks but the shifter doesn't come out of park the cable is probably out of adjustment. If you don't hear the click it's probably got a bad shift interlock switch solenoid.

If this helps please click "accept", thanks!