The Expert's number of “Accepted Answers” is a good indication of how many satisfied customers he or she has helped.
In recent years, bottled water has become a multi-billion dollar industry. Many Americans now drink bottled water exclusively. However, there are good reasons to stick with tap water. Bottled water varies greatly in purify and chemical composition. Some brands are quite healthy, whereas, others have been shown to contain dangerous levels of mercury, bacteria, and other harmful agents. Tap water is almost free, conversely, bottled water?? Hundreds of thousands of dollars per year. Finally, some bottled water is sourced directly from city water?? In other words, it’s merely tap water that someone has put in a bottle. The following questions are based on this passage?
1. Which of the following is the author's intent? A. To provide information about the use of bottled water. B. To convince readers that tap water tastes better than bottled water. C. To persuade readers to consider tap water rather than bottled water. D. To illustrate the growth of the bottled water industry.
2. Which of the following is a logical conclusion based on the passage? A. Some city water systems are supplementing their budgets by bottling their water for sale. B. The bottled water industry is not heavily regulated in terms of the quality of the quality of the water. C. The bottled water boom has peaked and will gradually decline in corning years D. Bottled water prices will decrease because people will begin drinking tap water instead.
3. Which of the following text structures is used in the passage? A. Comparison-contract B. Problem-solution C. Cause-effect D. Sequence
Purchasing a Snow Blower Snow blowers (also called snow throwers) can make the sometimes-difficult, often-unpleasant task of cleaning snow from sidewalks and driveways much easier. Before making a purchase, however, it’s best to learn a few snow blowers basics. Most snow blowers are gasoline powered, though some smaller models are electric. Electric models ate typically not the best choice for large jobs, as they tend to lack the power of gas models. However, electric models can be very light, and they are considered more environmentally friendly. Consider an electric only for small areas or it weight is an important consideration. The next big choice is whether to buy a one-stage or two-stage model. One-stage models are simplest. They use impellers (spinning paddles) to collect the snow and blast it out through a discharge chute. Two-stage models are slightly more complex. They use an augur (a rotating screw) to handle the job of breaking up and collecting snow and impeller to throw the snow out through the chute. Two-stage models are typically bigger, heavier and more powerful than single-stage models. A final consideration is engine size. Engines are typically measured in cc (cubic centimeters) a small, single-stage snow blower might have a 140 cc engine, while a big two-stage blower might feature 200 cc or even more. This is a lot of information to digest. However, an ?? blower is typically ??
4. Which of the following sentence from the passage contain an opinion? A. Snow blowers (also called snow throwers) can make the sometimes-difficult often unpleasant task of clearing snow from sidewalks and driveways much easier. B. Most snow blowers are gasoline-powered, though C. Two-stage models are typically bigger, heavier, and more powerful than single-stage models. D. However, an impatient buyer can rely on one simple pull. A bigger heavier blower is typically a more capable machine.
5. Which of the following is a logical conclusion based on the passage? A. Someone who is concerned about the environment will prefer a two-stage snow blower. B. Someone who has a small area from which to remove snow will need a 200 cc engine. C. Gas, two-stage snow blowers are likely to be the easiest machine to maneuver? D. Electric, single-stage snow blowers are likely to be the cheapest options to buy
6. Which of the following would be considered primary sources for this passage? A. manufacturer product manuals B. product reviews on the internet C. manufacturer warranty statements D. critical reviews in a trade journal
7. Which of the following is the author’s main purpose for writing this passage? A. To convince consumers that a larger, more powerful snow blower is best. B. To clarify the difference between electric and gas-powered snow blowers C. To provide information on how snow blowers are designed D. To instruct consumers about considerations when buying a snow blower
8. Which of the following statements best summarizes the passage? A. Before making a purchase, however, it’s best to learn a few snow blower basics B. A final consideration is engine size. C. An impatient buyer can rely on one simple rule. A bigger, heavier blower is typically a more capable machine. D. This will ensure that the job can be done, regardless of the circumstances.
9. Based on the passage, which of the following purchases makes the most sense? A. A person in Texas buys a one-stage snowblower. B. A person in Michigan buys an electric snowblower. C. A person in Georgia buys a snowblower with an augur. D. A person in Maine buys a 140 cc snowblower.
While dragonflies have several traits that inspire wonder, many people believe these flying insects are pests. Dragonflies spend much of their lives around water. They not only lay their eggs in or near the water, but their ??? young also develop in the water. In fact, dragonflies actually spend more of their lives as immature under??? grubs than as the mature flying creatures most people recognize. Though dragonflies possess six legs (like all insects), they are completely incapable of walking. Instead they use their powerful wings to get around, and their legs are merely used to cling to objects. The following questions are based on this passage.
11. Which of the following statements from the passage contains an opinion? A. Dragonflies have several traits that inspire wonder. B. Dragonflies spend much of their lives around water. C. They are completely incapable of walking. D. Their legs are merely used to cling to objects.
12. Which of the following is a logical conclusion based on the passage? A. Most dragonflies succumb to predication before reaching maturation B. Dragonflies have stronger wings than insects living in and environment C. A drought would likely have an adverse affect on dragonfly populations D. Dragonflies are in the same insect order as common flies.
The Union Stock Yards (often just called The Yards) was a great Chicago meatpacking district that exited from the mid-19th century up to the middle of 20th century. For a time The Yards was the busiest meat processing area in the world. The Yards existed because it was convenient. A great number of railroad line converged in Chicago, making it an excellent point to collect hogs and cattle, slaughter them, and distributes the meat nationwide. The Yards became obsolete when trucks started delivering cattle, making the railroad less essential. Today The Yards has been made into an industrial park. The following questions are based on this passage.
13. Which of the following proposed titles best captures the main idea of the passage? A. A historic overview of The Yards B. The daily operation of The Yards C. The impact of The Yards on Chicago D. Reasons for developing The Yards
14. Which of the following styles of writing in demonstrated by the last sentence of the first paragraph? A. Problem- solution B Sequence C. Cause-effect D. Description .
Ears By the nature of their position and the delicacy of their structure, your hearing organs are particularly vulnerable to mishap. From the outside come blows that rupture the eardrums, noises that degenerate nerves, and air-pressing changes that disturb balancing mechanisms. Inside the body, infectious micro – organisms causes disease that effect hearing. Any one of these enemies is a potential cause of partial or even total deafness. Neglect of seemingly minor ear troubles can mean severe problems in the future – a fact that haunts every parent whose child wakes up in the middle of the night crying with an earache. The hearing mechanism is divided into four main parts. Each has a vital role in the process that transforms sound into intelligible communication. First, the external ear is made up of the auricle – that shell- shaped appendage on each side of the head - and the external ear canal. These structures collect sound waves and transmit them to the are drum or tympanic membrane. The middle ear is an air-filled cavity behind the drum, and it contains three small bones (the ossicles) that are vibrated by sound waves and serve to transmit the waves to the inner ear. Opening into the middle ear is the Eustachian tube, which connects the tympanic chamber with the nose and equalizes the pressure between the outside atmosphere and the middle ear. In the inner ear are the semicircular canal, which gives the body its balance, and the tiny hearing cells that transform the vibrations of the ossicles first into fluid waves and then into nerve impulses. Finally, the auditory nerve pathway carries impulses to the brain, where they are translated into words and signals. Altogether hearing represents a wonderfully complex arrangement for acoustical perfection – better by far than any human engineer has ever devised. Yet, millions of Americans suffer from impaired hearing.
15. Which of the following parts of the ear is most likely to be affected by flying on an airplane or diving into a swimming pool? A. External ear B. Middle ear C. Inner ear D. Auditory nerve pathways
16. Which of the following is the main idea of the passage? a. Understanding how to care for one’s ears is essential to good health. b. The intricate structure of the human ear is susceptible to damage. c. Many people suffer from impaired hearing. d. Ears can be harmed in a number of different ways.
17. Which of the following is a logical conclusion based on the passage ? a. Human hearing is superior to that of other animals. b. Childhood earaches can lead to severe problems later in life. c. The pressure between the outside atmosphere and the middle ear must be exactly equalized for hearing. d. The outer ear is the most important part in the hearing process because it translates sound waves into nerve impulses.
18. Which of the following types of text structure is used in the last four paragraphs? a. Sequence b. Problem- solution c. Cause –effect d. Argument
19. Which of the following is an example of an opinion in the passage? a. The delicacy of the human ear makes it particularly vulnerable to harm. b. Seemingly minor ear troubles can lead to severe problems. c. Each part of the ear has a vital role in transforming sound. d. The ear is a better acoustical structure than any engineer has ever designed.
News reporting Time magazine made waves in 2006 when, instead of selecting a politician, entertainer, or activist as its Person of the Year, it selected "you." The magazine's intention was to illustrate how millions of user-post blogs, videos, pictures, and other content had exploded onto the internet and changed the cultural landscape. No longer were a few large media companies the gatekeepers of news opinion, and entertainment. Instead, millions of individuals now had the power to reach a vast audience. The selection of "you" as Person of the Year highlighted the new forces power of the individual. This change is typically seen as positive. News reporting, for example, is now undeniably more democratic an every individual is now capable of reporting or providing news commentary. For each ray of sunshine emerging from the Internet-fueled reality, however, there is corresponding dark cloud. For example: Yes, there are now thousands of news-reporting blogs. But many of these are poorly written and researched, and the worst of them spread dangerous The proliferation of free blogs and small, self-styled news sources also makes it difficult for larger, more traditional news agencies to charge for content. However, much of the factual information posted by individual bloggers and micro-agencies is plagiarized from traditional agencies. What happens if the big agencies trait or shrink to a point where their budgets can no longer support legitimate journalism? In this case, news reporting as a whole will suffer. There are certainly disadvantages to letting a few large entities control the world's news, but those entities provides several oft-overlooked positives. For the most part they enforce standards of quality, journalism, and accountability. Is the decline of these gatekeepers truly a win for society? Not necessarily. The following questions are based on the "News Reporting
20. Which of the following is the author's purpose? A. To inform B. To define C. To entertain D. To narrative
21. Which of the following is a logical conclusion based on the passage? a. Individual blogger will adopt higher standards of journalism as they become more popular. b. Large news agencies will suffer due to the rapid spread of individual bloggers c. Large news agencies will change more for their services since they have more competition. d. Individual bloggers will be able to charge high fees for their services.
22. Which of the following writing styles best describes this passage? a. Descriptive b. Creative c. Technical d. Persuasive
Fun Park Pricelist Indoor Attractions Children's Fun Center Child (3 to10 years) $8 Child (1 to 3) $5 Child (under 1 year) FREE Adult admission $3 Foam Factory (Unlimited) $6 Rock Wall (3 climbs) $6 Bumper Cars $6 Outdoor Attractions Maze $6 Putt-Putt Golf $6 Go-Kart $8 Tokens Game Room $0.25* Batting Cage $1* BEST VALUE PASSES EAT/Play Combo- Unlimited attractions plus all-you-can-eat pizza buffet (normally $10person) Unlimited Indoor/Outdoor Attractions - $35 Unlimited Indoor Attractions- $28 Super Pack Unlimited Unlimited Indoor/Outdoor Attraction - $29 Unlimited Indoor Attractions -$22 Pick Three Unlimited - Choose any three attractions for $18. * Game room and batting cage are not included with unlimited attractions. The following questions are based on the price list.
23. Which of the following is the cheapest price for a parent and a 9-year-old to both do the Fun Center ride the bumper cars once, and play putt-putt once? A. $29 B. $32 C. $35 D. $36
24. A customer who purchases a Super Pack Unlimited indoor/outdoor pass most likely chose this option because he A. want to save money on the pizza buffet. B. plans on spending his time in the game room and at the battling cages. C. likes to take repeated rides on the go-karts and bumper cars. D. Has small children who want to play all day in the Fun Center.
Asepsis 766-793 Medical 766-781 Cleaning in 767 Client education in, 780 Control of infection transmission and 768-769 Disinfections and sterilization in 767-768 Hand hygiene in 769-770 Isolation precautions and 774-768 Personal protective equipment and 779-780 Surgical 782-793 Applying sterile gloves in 786 Client preparation in 782 Donning and removing cap, masks, and gowns in 787-790 Preparing sterile field in 791-793 Surgical scrubs in 784-785 Surgical hand washing guidelines vary regarding the amount of time needed and the antiseptic that should be used for the scrub.
25. Which of the following pages or page ranges most likely contains the sentence above? A. 767 B. 769-770 C. 782 D. 784-785
26. Whig Committee of New York, 199 Whig National Convention of 1852, 132-33 Whig National Convention of 1856, 168 Whig Party, 9, 10, 22, 26, 55, 71, 88-90, 132, 167 agenda of, 43-44 demise of, 130,(NNN) NNN-NNNNIllinois election and, 149 of New York, 199-200 All the convention leading up to the election of 1856, the divided and much-diminished Whigs met in Baltimore and decided to throw their support of Milard Filmore and a platform that opposed both Republicans and Democratic. Based on the index, which of the following pages is most likely to contain the sentence above? A. 43 B. 132 C. 160 D. 168
27. From Lawrenceville take Highway 9 for 20 minutes (about 30 minutes) until you reach the Third Karletown and exit off and turn North on Park Street and drive for 3.1 miles past six stop lights take a left on 3rd Avenue and drive for the tore will be on the right side of the street. Based on the following instruction above which of the following statements is true? A. A driver should exceed this trip to take about 30 minutes of driving time B. There are six stoplights that the driver will encounter on 3rd Avenue. C. The driver will be driving west when she approaches the store. D. Its in exactly 20 minutes from Lawrenceville to the Karletown.
28. Which of the following sets of directions correctly corresponds with the map? A. Take State Road 10 west from Big Creek to Mendon. B. Take Highway 73 southeast from Quincy to Camp Point. C. Take the toll road northwest from Springfield to Camp Point. D. Take Interstate 8 west from Big Creek to West Point.
29. Using the figure above imagines rotating the figure ½ turn clockwise, ¾ turn counterclockwise, and then one complete the turn clockwise. Which of the following figures corresponds with the directions above? A. B. C. D.
30. Performing Arts Center Classical Series Concerts Single ticket price Saturday night Orchestra - Center: $55 Orchestra - Right Center/Right: $35 Orchestra - Left Center/Left: $45 Mid/Rear Balcony: $50 Center Balcony: $55 Dress Circle: $60 Rear Balcony (youth): $15 Sunday matinee Orchestra - Center: $42 Orchestra - Right Center/Right: $32 Orchestra - Left Center/Left: $ 42 Mid/Rear Balcony: $40 Center Balcony: $52 Dress Circle: $55 Rear Balcony (youth): $15 Which of the following ticket options offer the cheapest price for and adult? A. Saturday night, Rear balcony. B. Saturday night, Orchestra - Right Center C. Sunday matinee, Orchestra - Left D. Sunday matinee, Mid rear balcony Super tires Full set special $ 175 30,000 plus 10, 000 miles warranty Balance, rotation, and Alignment included Free disposal of old tires ($50 value) Good Tread Tires Four tires $ 150.00 40,000 miles warrantly Balance, rotation and Alignment $25 Free replacement for Flat tire within 1 month of installation
31. Which of the following consideration should incline a consumer to choose Super Tire? A. The longer warranty B. Free disposal of the old tires C. The price for a full set of four tires D. Inclusion of balance, rotation, and alignment in the price
32. Choosing the Resolution for Your Photos Resolution Purpose L (Large) 2592 x 1944 pixels Print larger that A4 size prints (8.3 x 11.7 in.) Print larger than letter size prints (8.5 x 11 in.) M1 ( Medium 1) 2048 x 1536 pixels Print up to A4 size prints Print up to Letter size prints M2 (Medium 2) 1600 x 1200 pixels Print postcard size prints (6 x 4 in.) Print L size prints (4.7 x 3.5 in.) S (Small) 640 x 480 Send images in e-mails Shoot more images Which of the following is correct based on the information above? A. The highest number of pixels is best for photos that will be sent by e-mail. B. A higher number of pixels correspond with the ability to print larger photos. C. The lowest number of pixels should be used to shoot photos intended for a postcard. D. A lower number of pixels place more restrictions on the number of photos that can be printed.
35. 'lead (led). n 1. Position at the front 2. initiative 3. One that leads. 4. Indication or clue. 5. A principal role in a dramatic production ‘lead (led) v. 1 to guide on a way by going in advance. 2. To direct on a course. 3. To direct the operations, activity, or performance. 4. To suggest the answer by asking leading questions. 5. To bring to a conclusion or condition. 6. To guide a dance partner through the steps. A famous conductor accepted the invitation to lead the orchestra in the new season. Which of the following dictionary entries best defines the word "lead" as used in the sentence above? A. Entry ' lead, definition 1 B. Entry ' lead, definition 5 C. Entry ' lead, definition 2 D. Entry ' lead, definition 3
36. Make yourself at home in the City of Lights. Rent one of our Luxury properties in a Parisian neighborhood! Available apartments Studio apartment 1-bedroom apartment 2-bedroom apartment Weekly rates (in dollars) Season Studio 1 bedroom 2bedroom Dec. 15 to 15 (Holiday) $1, 800 $2,300 $2,800 Mar. 1 to Oct 31 $1,400 $1,900 $2,100 Nov. 1 to Feb. 26 $1,000 $1,700 $1,900 August (offseason) $1,000 $1,400 $1,500 Which of the following potions is the least expensive for a week-long stay? A. Studio apartment in late December B. 1-bedroom apartment in early November C. 2- bedroom apartment in early October D. 2-bedroom apartment in late August
37. Count' -verb 1. to list numbers sequentially 2. to add up; enumerate 3. to include in a reckoning 4. to deserve consideration, to have merit -noun 5. the act of counting, a calculation 6. the total number resulting from a count 7. Baseball, the number of balls and strikes 8. Law, a distinct charge in an indictment 9. Boxing the call from 1 to 10 by the referee while a boxer is off his face The lawyer counted (1) 31 separate counters (6) of fraud listed against her client. "This may not count (4) for much." she said, "but I want you to known that I won't give up even if we’re down for the count (8)." Which of the following instances of the word "count" is matched correctly with the number of its definition? A. 1 B. 4 C. 6 D. 8
38. Student Council Election Day: Monday To: XXXXX XXXXX: Your Principal Concerning Rules of Election 1. Everyone running for office must prepare a 3-minute speech that will be recorded for presentation to the entire school. You need to “Dress for Success” as you would for a job interview. Your speech should be polished and professional. 2. You will need to report to the media room ready to present promptly at 10:00 on Friday morning. 3. Your speech should highlight your background and why you would make a good officer for student council. It should include which offices you have held previously, etc. 4. When you are finished being recorded, you need to go back to class immediately. Which of the following students correctly follows the directions? A Student who quietly watches the other students finishes their speeches after giving his own. B. Student who arrives at the media room at 10 a.m. ready to change into her presentation attire. C. Student who delivers a speech describing his previous experience as class treasures. D. Student who brings her 3-minute campaign video to the media room to present to the school. The following questions are based on this timeline.
39. Which of the following would be the best title for the timeline? A. Da Vinci and Italian Painting B. Da Vinci and his Great Works C. Da Vinci: A Life in the Arts D. Da Vinci: A Renaissance Man
40. Which of the following is logical conclusion based on the timeline? a. Da Vinci was more than 50 years old when he began the Mona Lisa. b. Da Vinci moved to Milan prior to receiving his first commission. c. Da Vinci completed The Last Supper after the turn of the millennium d. Da Vinci began work as an apprentice in the Guild of St. Luke at age 20.
41. On average, each American generates 4 ½ pounds of solid waste per day. Which of the following dictionary definitions is appropriate for “waste” as used in the sentence? A. A sparsely settled or barren region B. Refuse from places of human or animal habitation C. To cause to shrink in physical bulk or strength D. To spend or expend futilely
42. Which of the following is the temperature in degrees in Fahrenheit? A. -23 B. -10 C. 10 D. 23
43. AVOID CHOCOLATE WINE, MILK WHILE TAKING THIS MEDICATION DO NOT CONSUME CHEESE, ANTACIDS, OR IRON PREPARATIONS WITHIN ONE HOUR OF THIS MEDICATION DO NOT DRINK MILK OR EAT DAIRY PRODUCTS WHILE TAKING THIS MEDICATION. DO NOT TAKE WITH MILK OR YOGURT Which of the following labels prevents a patient from consuming cheese? A. 1 B. 2 C. 3 D. 4
44. Newton’s opus, Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosophy, dramatically altered understanding of the physical world. Italics are used in the sentence above to indicate a A. title B. scientific name C. point of emphasis D. nonessential clause.
45. 1. Easy Party Dip Ingredients (makes 2 1/2 cups) 1 can (10 oz) diced tomatoes with green chilies 1 package (16 oz) processed cheese, diced Add ingredients to a medium saucepan on medium-low heat. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until cheese has melted. Serve warm with corn or tortilla chips 38. Which of the following is correct? A. The recipe calls for 2 1/2 cups of cheese. B. The dip must be stirred for 5 minutes C. The dip should be cooked at medium heat for 10 minutes D. The recipe indicates that the cheese should be diced. May cause DROWSINESS ALCOHOL may intensity this effect. USE CARE when operating a car or dangerous machinery.
46. This label appears on a bottle of medicine. Which of the following is the logical conclusion based on A. This medication must not be taken when one is tired. B. Alcohol will counteract the effects of this mediation C. Caution should be used when running hazardous equipment D. This medication must be taken at night 30-day Money Back Guarantee Our Groom Co. electric shavers come with a 30-day money back guarantee because we are focused on ensuring your satisfaction. The only stipulation is that you use your new exclusively for 2 weeks to become accustomed with the product. If you are not satisfied, we will refund the amount on your receipt if the product is returned within 30 days. Check processing takes 4 to 6 weeks. To receive your refund, follow these steps: Ship your product prepaid by insured mail to XXXXX MO 64110 Enclose the original sales receipt with purchase price and date of purchase circled. Enclose a copy of this statement. Enclose a letter detailing the reason you returned the product, along with the model and Include your complete name, address and daytime phone number. If you normally use a post office box, we will require your physical street address to send The following questions are based on this promotion.
47. If the combined time it takes to ship the product and mail the check is 1 week, which amount of time between the purchase date and the date of receiving a refund check? a. 2 weeks + 4 weeks + 1 week b. 30 days + 4 weeks + 1 week c. 2 weeks + 6 weeks + 1 week d. 30 days + 6 weeks + 1 week
48. A refund for this purchase could be denied if the customer a. failed to circle the model and serial numbers on the sale receipt. b. used the product exclusively for 3 weeks c. does not normally use a post office box. d. did not include the guarantee statement when returning product.