The Expert's number of “Accepted Answers” is a good indication of how many satisfied customers he or she has helped.
Chris M.'s Masters of Social Work was verified on or about October 2009 by a leading third-party verification service.View the Terms of Service section on verifications
1. The estampie and the saltarello are twoA. African musical instruments.B. syllabic text-settings.C. Italian musical instruments.D. medieval dances.
2. What term is used to describe the combination of contrasting melodies played at the same time?A. PolyrhythmB. CounterpointC. RoundD. Imitation
3. In the 1920s, Schoenberg developed the new system music calledA. atonal closure.B. 12-bar blues.C. 12-tone composition.D. monodrama.
4. The rhythmic feature of Chuck Berry's "School Days" isA. harmonic ascent.B. anacrusis.C. the wall of sound.D. honky-tonk.
5. Opera took hold in England in the _______ century.A. early nineteenthB. seventeenthC. late nineteenthD. eighteenth
6. Which one of the following is the name used Javanese instrumental ensemble?A. GamelanB. CantorC. MamboD. Kajar
7. The Broadway musical is descended from theA. oratorio.B. aria.C. operetta.D. recitative.
8. A _______ is a type of folk song that tells a story.A. hoedownB. broadsideC. canonD. ballad
9. Which one of the following is an example of an oratorio?A. The Four SeasonsB. Cantata no. 97C. Coronaton of PoppeaD. Messiah
10. Melody refers to a pattern ofA. instruments.B. beats.C. notes.D. tempos.
11. Who wrote The Four Seasons?A. BachB. HandelC. VerdiD. Vivaldi
12. An example of a percussion instrument is theA. clarinet.B. shawm.C. piano.D. trumpet.
13. According to the Rock and Roll Ham of Fame and Museum, "While no individual can be said to have invented rock and roll, _______ comes the closest to any single figure to being the one who put all the essential pieces together."A. Buddy HollyB. Chuck BerryC. Elvis PresleyD. ***** ***** Lewis
14. According to your textbook, which composer is considered to be one of the most radical composers who ever lived?A. BeethovenB. WagnerC. VerdiD. Cage
15. Public Enemy's citation of "Don't Worry Be Happy" is a/an _______ statement about the quality of contemporary black music.A. sympatheticB. congratulatoryC. analyticalD. derogatory
16. A group of instruments or voices with similar timbres within the ensemble is theA. tenors.B. voicing.C. section.D. orchestra.
17. The _______ is a plucked lute with four to six strings and is used to provide a drone.A. bassB. tamburaC. bass guitarD. mandolin
18. The combination of antecedent and consequent units that make a larger whole is theA. theme and variations form.B. full cadence.C. punctuation.D. periodic phrase structure.
19. Bach's Cantata no. 140 is an intricate reconstruction of aA. patriotic song.B. popular ballet tune.C. Baroque operetta.D. well-known hymn.
20. Which of the following motifs represented "Faith pounding at the portal," according to Beethoven?A. short-LONG-short-LONGB. LONG-LONG-short-shortC. short-LONG-short-shortD. short-short-short-LONG
21. Henri wants to indicate in the musical score that all the instruments should play. What word will he write in the score?A. TuttiB. AllC. CodaD. Da Capo
22. A _______ is a duple-meter dance associated with square-dancing.A. broadsideB. stompC. hoe-downD. corrido
23. A _______ is an instrumental performance featuring a soloist who played to color the emperor's mood or day.A. karnatakaB. tableC. talaD. raga
24. Which of the following is a genre and piano that was popular from the late eighteenth century onward?A. LiedB. FantasieC. ImpromptuD. Episode
25. A/An _______ is musically similar to an opera, but is on a sacred topic and is not staged.A. cantataB. coronationC. oratorioD. chorus
26. Dylan says that the conga and cachiche are non-pitched instruments. Lyla says that the cowbell and cymbal are non-pitched instruments. Who is correct?A. Only Lyla is correct.B. Neither Dylan nor Lyla is correct.C. Both Dylan and Lyla are correct.D. Only Dylan is correct.
27. The character of a sound is referred to as itsA. texture.B. pitch.C. timbre.D. line.
28. _______ is the most obvious element that ***** ***** uses to convey shifting moods within "The Walls Converge."A. RhythmB. HarmonyC. TimbreD. Melody
29. An example of African American syncretism isA. a capella chorale.B. call-and-response.C. treble singing.D. rhyme singing.
30. In music, the Italian term for "loud" isA. virtuoso.B. forte.C. mezzo.D. piano.
31. Alphonsus wants to include unified timbre in his cantata. How will this be accomplished?A. The chorus will sing in unison while the orchestra plays an accompaniment.B. The orchestra will play in unison while the chorus sings in harmony.C. The instruments in the orchestra will play the same notes that the chorus is singing.D. The violins will have a solo and will all play harmony notes.
32. What is a term Turkish finger cymbals common throughout the Middle East?A. ZillB. TimbalesC. CachicheD. Shawm
33. Julio wants the chorus to sing a section of music very softly. What will Julio write in that section to convey his wishes?A. pB. mpC. ppD. f
34. Another word "color" of music isA. tone.B. dynamics.C. timbre.D. texture.
35. Baroque composers considered the _______ to be the touchstone of their art.A. concertoB. fugueC. minuetD. recitative
36. When we hear three or more notes played simultaneously, we're hearing aA. chord.B. melodyC. polyphonic texture.D. monophonic line.
37. One of the key components of the double-exposition concerto form is theA. chorale.B. cadenza.C. theme.D. single exposition.
38. Who wrote Don Giovanni?A. HandelB. HaydnC. MozartD. Beethoven
39. Which of the following is the name main tune in jazz?A. StanzaB. HeadC. SequenceD. Improvisation
40. What is the pattern of the Standard Song Form?A. ABACB. ABABC. AABAD. ABBA