Cher
Cher, Teacher
Experience:  Teacher, Tutor--40+ yrs. Masters Degree. Senior Internet Researcher
1470369

Why plane fly

Customer Question

why plane fly
Category: Homework
Expert:  Cher replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Expert:  Cher replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

If you mean 'how do planes fly,' I have a simple explanation for you.

Four forces act on a plane in flight. When the plane flies horizontally at a steady speed, lift from the wings exactly balances the plane's weight and the thrust exactly balances the drag. However, during takeoff, or when the plane is attempting to climb in the sky (as shown here), the thrust from the engines pushing the plane forward exceeds the drag (air resistance) pulling it back. This creates a lift force, greater than the plane's weight, which powers the plane higher into the sky.

This is a summary from the site below, which can give you much more information and examples of how planes get off the ground and are able to stay in the air and fly:

http://www.explainthatstuff.com/howplaneswork.html

-----------

Please be so kind as to rate my answer positively, with 5 stars from the ratings box at the top of your page; that is the only way I will receive recognition from the website for my effort and assistance. Thank you very much! You can also leave a positive review for me, there.

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation. Should you need me for any follow-up, clarification or additional information, simply click 'Reply to Expert'.

Please don't hesitate to request me by name, for any future questions; just type: "For Cher Only" to begin your post. Thank you!

Warm regards,
Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 2 months ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.