Scott
Scott, MIT Graduate
Experience:  MIT Graduate (Math, Programming, Science, and Music)
3546829

Case 4. Research on Intimate Partner Violence and the Duty

Customer Question

Case 4. Research on Intimate Partner Violence and the Duty to ProtectDr. Daniela Yeung, a community psychologist, has been conducting a federally funded ethnographic study of men’s attitudes toward intimate partner violence following conviction and release from prison for spousal abuse. Over the course of a year, she has had individual monthly interviews with 25 participants while they were in jail and following their release. Aiden, a 35-year-old male parolee convicted of seriously injur-ing his wife, has been interviewed by Dr. Yeung on eight occasions. The interviews have covered a range of personal topics including Aiden’s problem drinking, which is marked by blackouts and threatening phone calls made to his parents and girlfriend when he becomes drunk, usually in the evening. To her knowledge, Aiden has never followed through on these threats. It is clear that Aiden feels very comfortable discuss-ing his life with Dr. Yeung. One evening Dr. Yeung checks her answering machine and finds a message from Aiden. His words are slurred and angry: “Now that you know the truth about what I am you know that there is nothing you can do to help the evil inside me. The bottle is my savior and I will end this with them tonight.” Each time she calls Aiden’s home phone she gets a busy signal.Ethical DilemmaDr. Yeung has Aiden’s address, and after 2 hours, she is considering whether or not to contact emergency services to go to Aiden’s home or to the homes of his 360——DECODING THE ETHICS CODEDiscussion Questions 1. Why is this an ethical dilemma? Which APA Ethical Principles help frame the nature of the dilemma? 2. Who are the stakeholders and how will they be affected by how Dr. Yeung resolves this dilemma? 3. Does this situation meet the standards set by the Tarasoff decision’s “duty to protect” statute (see Chapter 7)? How might whether or not Dr. Yeung’s state includes researchers under such a statute influence Dr. Yeung’s ethical decision making? How might the fact that Dr. Yeung is a research psychologist without training or licensure in clinical practice influence the ethical decision? 4. In addressing this dilemma, should Dr. Yeung consider how her decision may affect the completion of her research (e.g., the confidentiality concerns of other participants)? 5. How are APA Ethical Standards 2.01f, 3.04, 3.06, 4.01, 4.02, 4.05, and 8.01 relevant to this case? Which other standards might apply? 6. What are Dr. Yeung’s ethical alternatives for resolving this dilemma? Which alternative best reflects the Ethics Code aspirational principles and enforceable standards, legal standards, and obligations to stakeholders? Can you identify the ethical theory (discussed in Chapter 3) guiding your decision? 7. What steps should Dr. Yeung take to implement her decision and monitor its effect?Suggested ReadingsAppelbaum, P., & Rosenbaum, A. (1989). Tarasoff and the researcher: Does the duty to protect apply in the research setting? American Psychologist, 44(6), 885–894.Fisher, C. B., Oransky, M., Mahadevan, M., Singer, M., Mirhej, G., & Hodge, G. D. (2009). Do drug abuse researchers have a duty to protect third parties from HIV transmission? Moral perspectives of street drug users. In D. Buchanan, C. B. Fisher, & L. Gable (Eds.), Research with high-risk populations: Balancing science, ethics, and law (pp. 189–206). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.Gable, L. (2009). Legal challenges raised by non-intervention research conducted under high-risk circumstances. In D. Buchanan, C. B. Fisher, & L. Gable (Eds.). Research with high-risk populations: Balancing science, ethics, and law (pp. 47–74). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.Jordan, C. E., Campbell, R., & Follingstad, D. (2010). Violence and women’s mental health: The impact of physical, sexual, & psychological aggression. Annual Review of Clinical Psychology, 6, 607–628. Appendix B——361Case 5. Web-Based Advertising for a Community Program Development and Evaluation Consulting ServiceDr. Martin Lux, an applied developmental psychologist, has created his own com-munity consultation and program evaluation business. He specializes in helping communities and service organizations set up day care programs for children aged 1 to 3 years. He wants to advertise his services on the Internet and is beginning to develop the following plan: a. To gain maximum exposure on search engines like Google he will name the website “SuccessfulDayCarePrograms.org.” b. He also thinks it would be a service to potential community clients to set up links on his website to other online information about infant mental health and social and legal services available in different communities where he might find community clients. c. He is currently under contract with a city agency. He helped them design a day care program for children of employees and is now in the process of evaluating its first year of implementation. He would like to ask a few parents whose children go to the
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Donna Kakonge replied 25 days ago.

Dear *****,

Could you please send the tail end of the question so I can see the full question.

Thank you,

Donna Kakonge, BJ, MA, TESOL, LLB, ABD

Customer: replied 25 days ago.

Discussion Questions

1. Why is this an ethical dilemma? Which APA Ethical Principles help frame the nature of the dilemma?

2. Who are the stakeholders and how will they be affected by how Dr. Yeung resolves this dilemma?

3. Does this situation meet the standards set by the Tarasoff decision’s “duty to protect” statute (see Chapter 7)? How might whether or not Dr. Yeung’s state includes researchers under such a statute influence Dr. Yeung’s ethical decision making? How might the fact that Dr. Yeung is a research psychologist without training or licensure in clinical practice influence the ethical decision?

4. In addressing this dilemma, should Dr. Yeung consider how her decision may affect the completion of her research (e.g., the confidentiality concerns of other participants)?

5. How are APA Ethical Standards 2.01f, 3.04, 3.06, 4.01, 4.02, 4.05, and 8.01 relevant to this case? Which other standards might apply?

6. What are Dr. Yeung’s ethical alternatives for resolving this dilemma? Which alternative best reflects the Ethics Code aspirational principles and enforceable standards, legal standards, and obligations to stakeholders? Can you identify the ethical theory (discussed in Chapter 3) guiding your decision?

7. What steps should Dr. Yeung take to implement her decision and monitor its effect?

Thank you

Dear *****,

When is your deadline for this assignment?

Kindest regards,

Donna

Customer: replied 25 days ago.

Today

Dear *****,

Since you require a rush for this assignment and there is a lot of work involved, I will need to request added compensation on top of what you have already paid. I will make you an offer now. It is negotiable.

Kindest regards,

Donna

Customer: replied 25 days ago.

Thank for you time, but I just answered myself.

Dear *****,

OK. Thank you. I will need to opt out rather than close this question since i did not answer it.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.

Great