Scott
Scott, MIT Graduate
Experience:  MIT Graduate (Math, Programming, Science, and Music)
3546829

Colonoscopy Report: The patient is a 73-year-old woman who

Customer Question

Colonoscopy Report: The patient is a 73-year-old woman who underwent colonoscopy and polypectomy on June 10, 2007. Biopsy revealed an invasive carcinoma, and on June 12, 2007, she underwent a low anterior resection and coloproctostomy. Fourteen months later, on August 2, 2008, she was seen in the office for flexible sigmoidoscopy, and a polyp was detected. Colonoscopy was scheduled.Description of Procedure: The fiberoptic colonoscope was introduced, and I could pass it to about 15 cm, at which point an anastomosis was apparent. The colonoscope passed easily through a wide-open anastomosis to 30 cm, at which point a very friable [easily crumbled] polyp, irregular, on a short little stalk, was encountered. This was snared, the coagulating [blood-clotting] current was applied, and the pedicle [stalk of the polyp] was severed and recovered and was sent with the polyp to Pathology for histologic identification. I continued to advance the colonoscope through the descending colon through the splenic flexure and into the transverse colon. Despite vigorous mechanical bowel preparation and the shortened colon from the previous resection, a considerable amount of stool was still present within the bowel. At the hepatic flexure, I abandoned further evaluation because of difficulty in visualization and began to withdraw the colonoscope. The colonoscope passed through the transverse colon, splenic flexure, descending colon, sigmoid colon, rectum, and anus and was withdrawn. She tolerated the procedure well, but had some nausea. I will await the results of pathology, and in the event that it is not an invasive carcinoma, I would recommend a repeat colonoscopy in 6 months, at which time we will use a 48-hour, more vigorous mechanical bowel preparation.Using the scenario above, answer the following questions:
On June 10th, what was the initial procedure that the patient underwent?
On June 12th, what additional surgery did the patient have?
Which term in the report refers to an anatomosis?
Why was it impossible to visualize the entire colon?Use a maximum of 100 words.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 month ago.

Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

Is this for a homework project or test?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't understand what can I write to answer.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it is homework. I try to understand and write answer all day. but I could not.. would explain all the question? please!!!!

I will send your post to the homework section so they can assist you.

Best of luck in your studies.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok