Scott
Scott, MIT Graduate
Experience:  MIT Graduate (Math, Programming, Science, and Music)
3546829

I paid the 3 dollars to get the answer to a penn exams

Customer Question

i paid the 3 dollars to get the answer to a penn foster exams 007111 and 007112. when i click the link it tells me that the file is no longer available.

Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Homework
Expert:  GLENN replied 1 month ago.

Hi, Can you post the complete sets of questions?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

. In comparing an oak tree with a maple tree, you can correctly say that

A. oak is often used to make ships, while maple is often used for furniture.
B. both maple and oak trees lose their leaves in the fall.
C. acorns are good to eat, while maple seeds aren't.
D. unlike oak roots, maple roots often invade water lines.

This question is based on the following paragraph. The sentences are numbered to help you answer the question.

(1) My family has a quaint cottage at a small, private lake. (2) The cottage is about 75 years old, but we try to keep it in good condition. (3) The outside is white with green trim on the windows and shutters. (4) In front of the cottage is a flagstone walk that leads down to a stone patio. (5) The patio itself is right next to the water. (6) Out from the patio stretches a dock where we keep a small rowboat tied. (7) Every summer, my family sets aside a week when we all get together at the lake for a family vacation/reunion.
2. What purpose do sentences 3-6 serve in this paragraph?

A. They provide supporting details.
B. They show cause and effect.
C. They illustrate a strong comparison.
D. They explain events in chronological order.

This question is based on the following passage. The sentences are numbered to help you answer the question.

(1) Do you enjoy being out in the fresh air? (2) Does nature restore your spirits? (3) You might want to consider hiking as a hobby. (4) It's a hobby you can begin with very little expense. (5) All you need to start is a good pair of hiking shoes.

3. The topic sentence in this paragraph is sentence number

A. 1.
B. 2.
C. 3.
D. 4.

4. The first sentence in the paragraph helps to _______ the main idea of the paragraph.

A. specify
B. explain
C. delay
D. introduce

(1) We can't imagine the ancient civilization of Egypt without the great Nile River. (2) Some would even say that Egypt was the gift of the Nile. (3) The Nile is the world's longest river. (4) It flows from deep in central Africa to the Nile River Delta on the Mediterranean Sea. (5) It also has the habit of flooding over its banks once a year. (6) When this happens, rich silt is deposited along the riverbanks. (7) As a result, the soil of the Nile Valley is excellent for farming. (8) Without the Nile floods, it's unlikely that ancient Egypt would have lasted for thousands of years.
5. Which one of the following clue words or group of words gives a hint that an effect is coming next?

A. As a result
B. Some
C. Without
D. Unlikely

6. Which one of the following pieces of writing would you be most likely to believe as true?

A. A letter to the editor of a newspaper in which a citizen explains the dangerous condition of a public building
B. An article on the greenhouse effect written by a Hollywood movie star
C. An article on heart health written by a cardiologist
D. An advertisement you receive in the mail regarding the benefits of a memory pill

7. While broadcasting a football game, the announcer exclaimed, "I can't believe it. ***** ***** just scored a touchdown. That's right; I said ***** *****. Even Carl looks as if he can't believe it either." What can you infer from these statements?

A. Carl is a player who is popular with the crowd.
B. Carl doesn't score touchdowns very often.
C. The announcer is prejudiced against Carl.
D. The announcer is happy for Carl.

8. "Regular aerobic exercise gives an individual more endurance" is a sentence that shows cause and effect. Which word indicates the cause?

A. Regular
B. Exercise
C. Individual
D. Endurance

This question is based on the following passage.

Both Greta and Fred were on the bus that arrived in Pittsburgh. Fred was glad to be home. He looked forward to visiting with old friends. Greta, on the other hand, dreaded seeing her old boyfriend. She already missed her days in New York City.
9. Which one of the following phrases indicates that a contrast is being made?

A. Already missed
B. On the other hand
C. Looked forward
D. Both Greta and Fred

10. What can you most safely infer from the paragraph?

A. Greta hates her old boyfriend.
B. Fred is a friendly person.
C. Fred and Greta are friends.
D. Fred once lived in Pittsburgh.

Scientists generally agree that Earth is getting warmer due to what's called thegreenhouse effect. A greenhouse used for plants stays warm because sunlight and heat coming through the glass roof are mostly trapped. The heat doesn't radiate back into the atmosphere because it's partly trapped by the glass. Something like that happens on Earth. The atmosphere acts like a blanket that keeps the Sun's heat from leaking away into space.
11. In the first sentence, the phrasewhat's called the greenhouse effectpresents a/an

A. bias.
B. cause.
C. illustration.
D. effect.

12. The main conclusion you can draw from this paragraph is that

A. a greenhouse helps plants to grow faster.
B. in a greenhouse, the Sun's heat is trapped by the glass.
C. the atmosphere keeps Earth warm.
D. because of the greenhouse effect, plants on Earth should thrive.

Both Seagulls and wild geese are large birds. They're also similar in that both kinds of birds can fly over great distances. On the other hand, seagulls are scavengers, while wild geese aren't. Seagulls, for example, are often found around garbage dumps. Geese, however, feed on things like seeds and insects. Another important difference between the two kinds of birds is that geese fly on long annual migrations of well over 1,000 miles. Seagulls will migrate far inland to search for food. However, they don't follow seasonal patterns of migration like wild geese.
13. Two important contrasts between seagulls and wild geese are

A. size and long-distance flying.
B. feeding habits and migration.
C. migration and size.
D. long-distance flying and feeding habits.

14. Clue words showing that contrasts are being made in this paragraph include

A. both and difference.
B. also and hand.
C. and and similar.
D. while and however.

15. Which one of the following statements is true regarding paragraphs?

A. A paragraph should have one main topic.
B. The topic of a paragraph is always placed in the first sentence.
C. A topic sentence should not be placed in the middle of a paragraph.
D. A paragraph with two main topics is called a complex paragraph.

I was in the National Forest with my camera. The day was crisp, and the leaves were turning gold and red. When I spotted the white-tailed buck, I froze. He wasn't more than 15 yards from where I was standing. The wind must have been right, because he kept on browsing the mossy ground. I lifted my camera very slowly. Carefully, holding my breath, I lifted the camera to my eye. Turning the focus ring, I framed the deer's head. Just as I was ready to press the shutter release, the buck raised his head. He was looking my way with wide eyes. Click. I took the picture. An instant later, the deer bounded away into the forest. He took off, but I had the shot. Today, the framed photo of that buck hangs above our fireplace.
16. What season of the year is implied by the words you read in the paragraph?

A. Fall
B. Winter
C. Spring
D. Summer

17. What, specifically, does the writer imply by saying "the wind must have been right"?

A. He was lucky to have his camera with him.
B. Deer usually run away when spotted.
C. Deer are afraid of humans.
D. The deer didn't pick up the writer's scent.

This question is based on the following sentence.

Because the desert air was very dry, the bread became stale very rapidly.
18. In this sentence, what clue word best tells you that a cause is producing an effect?

A. Because
B. Became
C. Very
D. Desert

(1) Making rice pudding can be very easy. (2) First, get a large, heavy saucepan. In the pan, measure 3 cups of whole milk, 1 cup of water, 1/2 stick of margarine or butter, and 1/2 cup of rice. (3) Bring this mixture to a quick boil. (4) Lower heat and slowly simmer for 45 minutes. (5) Remove the saucepan from the heat. (6) Add one beaten egg, 1/2 cup of sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla. (7) Stir well. (8) Serve warm or cold. (9) Enjoy your treat.
19. The topic sentence of this paragraph is

A. Sentence 1.
B. Sentence 2.
C. Sentence 8.
D. Sentence 9.

20. What method of organization is used in this paragraph?

A. Comparison and contrast
B. Cause and effect
C. Chronological order
D. Explaining an idea with examples

Submit Exam

Reset

Exit
Customer: replied 1 month ago.

second exam is interpreting main ideas 00711200

1. In poetry and fiction, the main reason for using vivid words is to

A. explain an idea.
B. create a mental image.
C. keep the reader guessing.
D. illustrate the writer's bias.

2. The purpose of loaded words in advertisements is to

A. create an image.
B. compare two unlike things.
C. influence the reader.
D. illustrate bias.

Except for a few pigeons, Central Park was deserted. Mist hung above the chilled grass. Patches of old snow, scattered here and there, looked like white puddles. The sun hung just above the horizon, casting red and orange streaks across low-hanging clouds. The portly, gray-haired gentleman jogging down the path looked out of place. For one thing, he was dressed in ordinary street clothes, not a sweat suit. Also, every few seconds, he looked anxiously back over his shoulder. Coming closer to me, I saw that his face was flushed. He was panting, almost gasping. Abruptly, looking this way and that, he moved behind a tree. Seeming not to notice my presence, he stood with his back against the trunk, panting heavily. After a moment, he poked his head out to survey the path. It was still empty, except for a squirrel that dashed across the path like a furry dart. I checked my watch. It was now 7:30. Mentally marking the time, I aimed my camera toward the man's face.
3. In this paragraph, at what time of day is the action taking place?

A. Around sunrise
B. Around midnight
C. Around sunset
D. Around noon

4. From this paragraph, what relationship can you infer between the jogger and the writer?

A. They are well known to each other.
B. They are complete strangers to each other.
C. The writer is doing a report on the jogger.
D. The writer is in danger from the jogger.

5. From the paragraph, you can conclude that the portly man is afraid of something. Which one of the following elements gives the strongest evidence for that conclusion?

A. He's panting.
B. He isn't dressed in a jogging suit.
C. He's running in a nearly deserted park.
D. He hides behind a tree.

6. In this paragraph, a white puddle is a simile for

A. mist.
B. grass.
C. fear.
D. snow.

This question is based on the following poem:

Seasons are celebrations.
A year's a Ferris wheel.
Both honor our world's habit
of spinning 'round a star.
7. Which one of the following sentences best expresses the main idea of this poem?

A. The world has a habit of spinning around.
B. Season are celebrations, while a year on Earth is a habit.
C. Seasons and Ferris wheels are like Earth's journey around the sun.
D. There are four seasons in a year.

Seasons are celebrations.
A year's a Ferris wheel.
Both honor our world's habit
of spinning 'round a star.
8. In the first line of the poem, the poet is using a

A. loaded word.
B. bias.
C. simile.
D. metaphor.

This question is based on the following poem.

Some say life's a monopoly game,
spread like a picnic to kill the grass,
assuring no winners save some ants,
until amid the fading rants,
none there are to punch one's pass
into the halls of fame.
9. The metaphor for life in this poem is

A. a picnic.
B. a monopoly game.
C. halls of fame.
D. some ants.

10. Which one of the following sentences best explains the term bias?

A. Bias is an interpretation of something.
B. Bias is a negative opinion.
C. Bias exchanges a negative opinion for a positive one.
D. Bias is an opinion that favors one point of view.

11. Suppose the following sentence appears in the sports section of the newspaper:
Lorton's experienced linemen performed well in handing Jefferson High's Eagles a
crushing defeat.
What word in the sentence is most clearly a loaded word?

A. Experienced
B. Handing
C. Crushing
D. Defeat

12. Opinion often shows bias. Therefore, it's good to remember that a fact is different from an opinion because a fact can be proved or disproved with

A. imagery.
B. opinions.
C. evidence.
D. bias.

This question is based on the following information about The Call of the Wild, a book by Jack London.

The Call of the Wild is a story about a dog named Buck. Buck is a pampered dog who lives with a wealthy family in southern California. During the Gold Rush, Buck is captured, sold, and eventually shipped to Alaska to work as a sled dog. Along the way, Buck is mistreated by a series of owners. Eventually he learns to survive as a member of a dog sled team. As a result, Buck soon realizes that in the Yukon of Alaska, "the law of club and fang" is stronger than the rules of civilized society. With each new experience, Buck becomes more acquainted with his primitive past. Finally, after losing the one person who treated Buck well, Buck decides to return to living in the wild.
13. From the information above, which one of the following headlines would best represent the theme of Jack London's story?

A. Pampered Dog Moves to Alaska
B. Dog Learns the Ropes of Sled Teams
C. Dog Mistreated by Owners
D. Dog's Roots Call Him Back

This question is based on the following excerpt from a short story.

Inside the bus, in his summer Class-A uniform with its brass glitter and infantry-blue shoulder cordon, Jamie Sabin was going home. Fort Benning would be a fading dream; Preston, Virginia, a place unknown, his future. He was in between, fumbling with puzzle pieces, making up stories about the real Jamie Sabin. Each of these he set adrift like a paper boat on a shifting sea of daydreams. He did that encased in the drone and shudder of diesel pistons and hissing tires. Jamie Sabin was going home to a place unknown.
14. In this paragraph, the paper boat is a

A. simile for stories Jamie makes up about himself.
B. metaphor for daydreams.
C. simile for Jamie's past.
D. metaphor for Jamie's past and future.

This question is based on the following four sentences.

1. Netta and Jim argued over their views of free trade.
2. Netta and Jim had different views on free trade.
3. Netta and Jim were sharply split over the issue of free trade.
4. Netta and Jim refused to discuss the issue of free trade.
15. Which of the four sentences is notneutral?

A. 1
B. 2
C. 3
D. 4

16. In these four sentences, the word that's most obviously a loaded word is

A. argued.
B. sharply.
C. refused.
D. different.

Snow was quickly piling up on the ground. Wind howled through the trees. Karen wrapped a blanket around her and sighed as she watched the snow through her bedroom window.
17. In this passage, you can best infer that

A. Karen is at home during a snowstorm.
B. Karen doesn't like the snow.
C. Karen is upset because she can't get out.
D. Karen thinks the snow is beautiful.

This question based on the "The Little Match Girl," which you read in this
study unit.

18. Who is the protagonist in "The Little Match Girl"?

A. The little match girl's grandmother
B. The little match girl's cruel father
C. The passerby who finds the little girl's body
D. The little match girl

study unit.

19. What is the setting of "The Little Match Girl"?

A. A place in the matchseller's imagination
B. The matchseller's attic home
C. The matchseller's grandmother's house
D. A wintry city street

According to science, the fastest speed possible for anything is the speed of light. The speed of light is about 186,000 miles per second. That means that in one minute, light travels 11,160,000 miles. The star nearest Earth is the Sun. It's about 93,000,000 miles from Earth. Therefore, it takes sunlight about eight minutes to travel to Earth. So, when you see the Sun, you aren't seeing it as it is. You're seeing it as it was eight minutes ago. Since the stars are much farther away than our Sun, imagine how far back in time you're seeing them! It's obvious that humans will never travel to planets around even the nearest stars.
20. Which statement taken from the paragraph is most likely to be opinion rather than fact?

A. The fastest speed possible for anything is the speed of light.
B. Humans will never travel to planets around even the nearest stars.
C. The star nearest Earth is the Sun.
D. When you see the Sun, you aren't seeing it as it is.

Submit Exam
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Relist: Other.
dod not answer this is time sebsetive