Scott, MIT Graduate
Experience:  MIT Graduate (Math, Programming, Science, and Music)

I am currently an freshman undergrad in C.E. and I came

Customer Question

Hey I am currently an freshman undergrad in C.E. and I came across this question in class the other day and I was a bit thrown back as I couldn't fathom the answer. Paraphrasing a fellow student asked "With modern day technology how long would it take to build the Gotthard Tunnel?" I am not sure how accurate it is or how many safety considerations and repairs they've had revisit since its inception but at least on Wikipedia it says it only took a decade around 140 years ago.
It's a bit of a tough question I know but if in they case it didn't exist and all the stipulations and certifications are good to go and they were to literally break ground beginning tomorrow, how long estimated would it take to build the tunnel?
Is there any way you can tell me like a small time frame for modern day; drilling, construction, and rail? Do they drill and as they move forward construct? Also generally do they set down the tracks as they are proceeding forward too? Final question(s); something this massive how do they make sure or what do they use during construction to keep from a cave in as this is almost a mile or more deep over all. (I apologize in advance if any of the ?'s here are easy as I am very new to this)
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Homework
Expert:  F. Naz replied 26 days ago.

Kindly clearly mention your requirement as the information which you have given is not clearly describing it,, thanks.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I think I got put with the wrong tutor I don't need financial info I need engineering help.
Expert:  F. Naz replied 25 days ago.

Okay, So I am opting out ,thanks.

Expert:  Donna Kakonge replied 25 days ago.

Dear Customer,

I can have this question completed by Tuesday. Would that be OK for you?

Kindest regards,

Donna Kakonge, BJ, MA, TESOL, LLB, ABD

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
that is fine.
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
The Question has to be answered by someone who knows Civil/Structural Engineering.
Expert:  Donna Kakonge replied 24 days ago.

Dear Customer,

I may then need to opt out of this question and I'm sorry for that. I do not have expertise in that area.

Kindest regards ***** ***** will leave it open for another expert to help you,