Scott, MIT Graduate
Experience:  MIT Graduate (Math, Programming, Science, and Music)

United States. My question relates to the plot of Trollope's

Customer Question

JA: Are you in the UK or are you in the States?
Customer: United States.
JA: What action has been taken so far? What's your ideal outcome?
Customer: My question relates to the plot of Anthony Trollope's famous novel, Orley Farm. In that novel, published in 20 monthly parts in 1860 and 1861, Lady Mason, who was 45 years younger than her husband, Joseph Mason, was accused of forging a codicil to his will as he lay dying in another bedroom of their home at Orley Farm. She did so because her husband had refused to leave the farm to their two year old son, Lucius Mason, and instead had left the entirety of his sizeable estate, except for a modest amount to support her, to his adult son by a prior marriage. She was acquitted of forging the contested codicil a short time after the death of her husband, and she and her son Lucius continued to live at Orley Farm until he became of age and took over the operation of the farm. Lucius Mason promptly terminated a lease covering some rented pastures that had been held by the son in law of Mr. Mason, Sr.'s lawyer who supposedly drew up both the original will, and the codicil. The son in law then goes through his father in laws old papers and discovers a partnership dissolution deed executed on the same day as the codicil that had been the subject of Lady Mason' previous trial for forgery, and manages to get her indicted for perjury basee upon her testimony given in the original trial some 20 years previously. Trollope was roundly criticized at the time for inaccurately describing many aspects of the second trial of Lady Mason (focusing on perjury allegedly committed 20 years earlier), but I have seen no criticism premised upon the second trial being one that could not have occurred given the time bar of some applicable statute of limitations. So, I am assuming that like the crime of murder in the United States, for which there is no statute of limitations available as a defense, English law must carry no statute of limitations on the crime of perjury.earlieris accused of having accused of having forged the will o
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Homework
Expert:  F. Naz replied 1 month ago.

Please let me know the deadline and what exactly you need, thanks.