13. Which of the following best describes the changes brought to world populations as a result of the European colonization of the Americas?
A. The African population nearly doubled, the Native American population dropped greatly, and millions of Europeans were sent to the Americas as slaves.
B. The African population nearly doubled, the European population dropped greatly, and millions of Native Americans were sent to Europe as slaves.
C. The European population nearly doubled, the Native American population dropped greatly, and millions of Africans were sent to the Americas as slaves.
D. The Native American population nearly doubled, the African population dropped greatly, and millions of Europeans were sent to Africa.
14. Which of the following was one of drivers of European exploration in the 1400s and 1500s?
A. Europeans sought new trade routes to eastern Asia.
B. Europeans were driven out of Europe by aggressive Muslim empires.
C. Europeans were in a race against African countries to colonize the world.
15. The French helped the Patriot war effort by
A. providing a navy and military support.
B. going to war against hostile Native American groups.
C. keeping Spain out of the war.
D. attacking the main island of Britain to distract British forces.
16. The document that established the separation of the colonies and Britain, highlighted natural rights all men held, and listed grievances against the king was the
A. Declaration of Independence.
B. Bill of Rights.
D. Magna Carta.
17. Which of the following statements best describes French settlers' treatment of Native Americans?
A. French settlers had a policy of killing most Native Americans in order to claim new lands.
B. French settlers ignored the local native population unless they interfered with the fur trade.
C. French settlers enslaved Native Americans and forced them to work in mines and on farms.
D. French settlers were on friendly terms with Native Americans and they relied on them to provide furs.
18. Why did Spanish settlers turn to African slaves to provide the labor for their American colonies?
A. The Spanish settlers were unwilling to work.
B. The price of African slaves dropped dramatically in the early 1500s.
C. The Native American population had been greatly reduced through war and disease.
D. African slaves proved to be better workers than Native Americans.
19. What was the message of Thomas Paine's Common Sense?
A. The colonies would be better served if they joined the French Empire.