Ingo U
Ingo U, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in software development. Expert in Microsoft .Net, C#, C++, VB, SQL

U Create a WPF or Web Forms application that persists

Customer Question

FOR INGO UCreate a WPF or Web Forms application that persists information to the database.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Ingo U replied 4 months ago.

Hi Nancy,

Do you have any more information than that?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'll provide more info later on today.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm attaching the assignments rubric, examples, and somewhat of an idea. For this project, I'm thinking of doing a banking application where you are able to deposit and withdraw into two accounts; checking and savings, log in page accessing to the accounts, limiting how many times you can withdraw from the savings; no more than three times. I have some UI controls written down. What seems tricky is incorporating the deposit and withdraw buttons. I'm thinking of doing a web form.
Expert:  Ingo U replied 4 months ago.

sounds like a viable project. Are you thinking that the database storage needs to keep a history of all deposit and withdrawal transactions?

I'd prefer a WPF app since it is not subject to browser issues .. more direct.

But I'm reviewing the materials you sent, to get a sense of the pieces you are working from.

Any other ideas or requirements, don't hesitate to send them over.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The database can be like a bank statement. I'm sort of replicating the Chase app in a way. When they select the Available balance is leads to the "bank statement." Whatever is more easier to complete the assignment.
Expert:  Ingo U replied 4 months ago.

Hi, here's a first partial mock-up for your review:

The login/main window flow is actually implemented; I made it so if you put in a username that doesn't exist, it'll let you create it on the fly, with whatever password ***** entered, and store it in the database. Quick and easy; after that you have to use the right user/password ***** to get in. There will be support for multiple users and their respective accounts (every user gets a checking and savings). Sound good?

The actual accounting stuff remains to be done. Let me know if I'm on the right path or not.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It looks great so far. The registration part is a bit confusing. I like how you can create the credentials on the fly, maybe add a description of doing so if they don't have an account. Is it possible to create a registration page linked to the which leads back to the login page?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The Available balance can be moved in a bit down too. It's overlapping the Labels Checking and Savings.
Expert:  Ingo U replied 4 months ago.

Did you see that it pops up a message box when you try to log in with a username that doesn't exist? It says (if you entered tom)

"User 'tom' does not exist, do you want to create it?"

If you click No, it goes back to the login screen; if yes, it creates it with the password ***** entered, and says

"User created"

and then proceeds to your new, empty account.

I thought that was pretty clear that way, except perhaps the fact that your password ***** ***** whatever you had typed (even if empty)

We can make that whole part fancier if you want, but first I'd like to get through the rest of the real meat of the project, with the accounting part.

I'll continue working on it tomorrow.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Maybe a little description letting the user know how they can create an account within the same window.
Expert:  Ingo U replied 4 months ago.

Here's the latest:

Try the "New User?" link in the logon box; it makes it clear that you're registering a username (changed the labels and color a little to make it look like a different form, sort of); afterwards takes you back to the logon screen to proceed.

It also now handles the basic business logic of adding transactions to checking and savings accounts. You'll see they start with initial balances of 1000/10000.

Looks like your basic checkbook ledger utility. Let me know your thoughts.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
New User application looks good. I like the checkbook ledger. Do you think it's possible to view those when clicking on a button stating, "View Statements"? So far it looks great.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do you have an estimate when it'll be done?
Expert:  Ingo U replied 4 months ago.

I've added buttons "View Statements" as you asked, not sure where you wanted them, so I guessed. They do the same thing as clicking on the text links, showing the transactions for that account.

Is there something else you'd like me to add?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It looks great. Just a minor thing. When entering a new transaction, can it be automatically cleared after entering a new transaction? Because the previous entry is left behind in the description and amount textbox. And where do you edit the New User, app?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Where you able to implement comments in the code?
Expert:  Ingo U replied 4 months ago.

OK, I can take care of this things tomorrow if that's OK. The New User function is actually part of the Login code; it just re-labels things and changes the background if the window is put into "user registration" mode.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I found the code for the background color for the new user app. If you can change those things by tomorrow the latest, that's fine.
Expert:  Ingo U replied 4 months ago.

OK, here you go:

Hope that meets all the requirements and needs. I cleaned up a little bit, e.g. made it so you can tab through the entry fields as one would expect.

Expert:  Ingo U replied 4 months ago.

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.