Ingo U
Ingo U, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in software development. Expert in Microsoft .Net, C#, C++, VB, SQL
44076068

Trying to figure out which is the worst sort algorithm to

Customer Question

Trying to figure out which is the worst sort algorithm to use with a linked list in javascript and why.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 7 months ago.
Hello, May I ask for you to clarify what exactly you need help with? In order to help me understand what you need, may I ask why you want the worst option and not the best? Thank you,***** *****
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
http://ge.tt/2MOT1Ra2
I see that this is a homework assignment. I will have it placed in the correct category. When someone picks it up, you will be notified by email.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Why do I not see a homework section?
Expert:  Ingo U replied 7 months ago.
Hi,well the question asks very specifically about a sort algorithm which "simply cannot be used", on a simple linked list... to which I'd say "well if you had to, you could always create a temporary array to store the list nodes/elements, sort that with any algorithm imaginable, and re-create the list in the new order". But since that's probably not the desired answer (Or maybe it is???) I would probably say that any sort algorithm that requires direct access to non-adjacent list elements (like merge sort and insertion sort) would become quite cumbersome to use - however, a bubble sort works great on simple list like that!I think the answer should show that you're understanding that when using a linked list, you typically only have "easy" access to 3 elements at a time: The head, a "current" node, and that node's "next". BUt like I said, you pretty much can do anything (not efficient!) by jumping through enough hoops.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK, Thank you.
Expert:  Ingo U replied 7 months ago.
You're welcome; please let me know if you have any follow-up questions regarding this topic.Regards,-Ingo U
Expert:  Ingo U replied 7 months ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.