Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC

Wrongful dismissal? Our Nursing program course progression

Customer Question

Wrongful dismissal?
Our Nursing program course progression policy requires a minimum Nursing GPA of 2.5 and minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75, both of which I've met with significant buffer. In the event that a student falls below the required GPA, the policy states that the student be placed on a probationary period of one semester, during which the student must raise their GPA to the minimum level or be dismissed from the Nursing program.
My class syllabus further dictates that the final exam (limited to just the pediatrics component of the HESI standardized exam) accounts for 10% of the final class grade. Included in the syllabus is an "official communication" clause in which the professor defines Email to be the official means of communication.
Fast forward to first day of class - my professor announced that the HESI final exam will be used to determine if students may continue with the Nursing degree progression. No Email follow up. I did not meet the minimum HESI score and was dismissed from the Nursing program. How can something that was supposed to be weighed only at 10% of the final grade kick me out of Nursing school? Moreover, should I not have been placed into the probationary period as defined by the Nursing program's policy? After speaking with the professor, a retake of the final exam would not be possible as she would be forced to allow everyone who asks to retake. I'm one semester away from graduation and more than $20k invested into this degree. Is this a wrongful dismissal?
Thanks in advance.
Category: Homework
Expert:  DrOlivia-JD-MD replied 6 months ago.
Hello Seung. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I’ll be happy to help you in any way I can. This site is for educational purposes only. Sometimes - although certainly not always - experts have to give you what you deem “bad news” but that should not be a reflection of how satisfied you are with the assistance your expert provided. Experts on this site receive credit for assisting you when you click the rating (the stars) so please submit a rating prior to logging off. You aren't charged anything extra by submitting a rating.I'm so sorry you're going through this. What you describe is not just egregious, but completely impermissible. A school cannot just change their policies midway through the year. At least not without very good reason, and I doubt they can even come close to establishing that it is necessary for them to change their policies midyear, and one semester prior to your graduation. If they want to change their policies these policies need to be implemented on new students, not the ones that signed on to the program with the expectation that this particular set of rules would apply. I would encourage you to reach out to an attorney, at the very least to send a letter to the school stating that you are considering litigation. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or you need me to clarify anything. Please also submit a rating if you're satisfied with your assistance; this will not cost you anything extra and it's the only way we get credit for assisting you. And please don't feel like we have to stop talking after you submit a rating. I'd be more than happy to continue working with you after that as well.

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.