StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Engineer
Experience:  I am only an expert in engineering homework.
59685895

A steel section is to be used as a column, it is to have a

Customer Question

A steel section is to be used as a column, it is to have a slenderness ratio of 88 and it has an overall length of 6m. Calculate the radius of gyration and hence select from the table of standard steel sections, a suitable universal column 'I' section. Using this specification of the column determine the compressive stress induced for an axial load of 200kN
Category: Homework
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
Hello.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi
What exactly is your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont know how to start or answer the above question,
A steel section is to be used as a column, it is to have a slenderness ratio of 88 and it has an overall length of 6m. Calculate the radius of gyration and hence select from the table of standard steel sections, a suitable universal column 'I' section. Using this specification of the columndetermine the compressive stress induced for an axial load of 200kN
Do you know what the slenderness ratio is?
It is kL/r. Assume k=1.0. L=6m (change this to mm or cm, depending what units your r is in). Set that equal to 88 and solve for r. This is the required radius of gyration to reach a slenderness ratio of 88.
Then, based on the slenderness ratio, determine the allowable compressive stress on the column. From this, determine how much area you need and select a column that meets the r value and A value.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thank you for your help so far, i dont understand what you mean by set that equal to 88
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i would like a refund then please as this hasnt helped