urelectrician, Teacher
Experience:  Licensed electrician for 26 years. 5 years as a college electrical/electronics instructor. Diploma in Digital Electronics

Design A system to help calculate the amount of power used

Customer Question

Design A system to help calculate the amount of power used by each user on an electric meter.
Category: Homework
Expert:  urelectrician replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. 1) Please provide more details for the question. Are you looking for a formula to calculate the amount of power consumed on a monthly electrical bill or other?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
u see is a problem for a landlord to share electricity bill at the end of the month. so i want to design a system that can help assign every room connected to a meter in a house how much power each of the room consumed and the corresponding amount to pay
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
so i want to know how to program the system.
I am a computer student and want to use it as my final project
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
because there is no such system, house owners decide to share the bill equally meanwhile not all the rooms connected to the meter uses the same amount of power
Thanks for the replies. 1) Electrical usage cannot be programmed. Each individual tenant requires a separate electrical meter to monitor the monthly power consumption (in kilowatt hours) in order to calculate the monthly electrical bill. 2) Sub-meters can be installed at the main electrical panel in order to break out and monitor each individual tenants electrical usage.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i want to use microcontroller to do that
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
instead of the submeters
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
want to program the microcontroller to become smart power senser
That is an impossible task to resolve since all of the electrical wattage passes thru a utility meter. The only method to monitor amperage or wattage is to have a sub-meter that utilizes current transformers to monitor the amps in each of the branch circuit hot wires. Electrical must always first go thru a hard wired main meter from the electrical supplier or sub-meters installed at the various branch circuits originating from the main electrical panel in order to calculate the consumed wattage. Without the use of sub-meters, there is no way of knowing how many amps are flowing thru the individual circuits unless hard-wired amp or watt meters are installed. Measuring electrical usage requires a physical instrumentation measurement and cannot be achieved by writing code or software. Not gonna happen unless you have a patent that defies the past 100 some years of electricity usage monitoring capabilities on breaking out usage via a software program.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks..............Kevin:)

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.