Ingo U
Ingo U, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in software development. Expert in Microsoft .Net, C#, C++, VB, SQL
44076068

I need a syntax written simple () problem I'm having.

Customer Question

I need a syntax written for a simple (for you) problem I'm having.
Category: Homework
Expert:  LogicPro replied 12 months ago.

Welcome here.

Please provide complete requirements.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I have a CSV spread sheet, exported from an accounting program that doesn't separate the debits from credits. There are two columns. One has currency numbers in column D. In column E are the words "debit" or "credit". I need to change the debit numbers to a negative number in order to input them into another accounting program. There are over 2000 entries, so, I do not want to do it manually. I was thinking I need a syntax to do it.

My apologies, I am out of ideas and opting out for other Professionals to answer. Please wait. You will be notified by email as soon as any Professional joins you.

Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Ingo U replied 12 months ago.

I would be happy to help you with this. Can you upload the CSV file so I can have a look?
If you attach it here, you should first put it in a compressed (zipped) folder.

Or, use wikisend.com or another file sharing site of your choice.

You do want this done in Excel, correct?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hello, Yes Excel. But since I first submitted the original question. I figured out that one. But I do have another question that you may be able to answer simply. I have two information/description columns. Can I combine them into one column and keep all the data? Or you can think of them as cells instead of columns. there is over 2000 transactions, so I do not want to do them one at a time. Thanks
Expert:  Ingo U replied 12 months ago.

Sure, I assume you want the resulting column to replace the 2 originals ?

I'll make up a little sample workbook to show you how I'd do it, OK?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
that is correct
Expert:  Ingo U replied 12 months ago.

Here you go:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7895834/combine-columns-sample.xlsx?dl=0

Hope that helps... let me know if you need anything else.

Regards,

Ingo U

Expert:  Ingo U replied 12 months ago.

Of course if you'd rather send me the file I'd be happy to do it for you, too.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you. Let me try it. I'm kind of a DIY person. I'll get back to you in a minute.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
It worked!!!! Thank you so much. This will save me a lot of work. Have a great day...
Expert:  Ingo U replied 12 months ago.

Glad I could be of help!
Please feel free to post any additional questions or comments you may have regarding this issue.
If you're satisfied, please don't forget to accept and rate my service - I don't get paid for my work until you do.

To ask me a future question directly, bookmark and use this link:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-ingou/

When you post a new question, please also put "FOR INGO U ONLY" at the beginning of the question; it'll help catch my eye.
If I'm not online at the time, someone else may respond before I do.
It is then completely up to you whether you work with that person or choose to wait for me.

Regards,
Ingo

Expert:  Ingo U replied 11 months ago.

just following up, were you able to use my solution?
Please feel free to post any additional questions, comments or concerns you may have regarding this issue.

If you're not yet satisfied with the result, please let me know what is missing.
I will do my best to make it right for you.

Otherwise, please don't forget to rate my service - I don't get paid for my work until your rating is received.

Regards,
Ingo U

Expert:  Ingo U replied 11 months ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.