Cher
Cher, Teacher
Experience:  Teacher, Tutor--40+ yrs. Masters Degree. Senior Internet Researcher
1470369

English grammar question - teaching English to foreign

Customer Question

English grammar question - teaching English to foreign students
'He was taken in by her'
1. What is the 'form' - is is 'subject + past participle +......
2. What are the potential problems with the form?
'I'm definetly having a lie-in tomorrow'
1. What is the form
2. What at the problems with form
Category: Homework
Expert:  GLENN replied 9 months ago.

Hi

Thank you for using this site. When do you need the answers?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Now?!!
Expert:  GLENN replied 9 months ago.

By the way, as one of the strict rules of this site, we cannot post our emails or any private information here, (also for our own protection). But there is one option I can send to you my email (using a private dialog box) so that I can send the answer to your email, in order to prevent others from downloading or copying the answers if I will post them here.

.

(please do not post your email here)

.

Do you want me to use that option? please reply. Thanks.

.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The answer is fine on here thanks
Expert:  GLENN replied 9 months ago.

'He was taken in by her'

verb be used and the past participle are as follows:
1.) was + taken

2.) There are no grammatical errors in the form.

'I'm definitely having a lie-in tomorrow'
the form of the verb used is
1.) am + having

(But better to use a simple future tense to signify future events)

.

*************************************************************************************************************************************

If you are satisfied and happy with the answer, please choose a high rating. (so that I get paid) If you need more information, clarifications, or are not satisfied yet, choose 'Continue the conversation'. Bonuses are very much appreciated. Thanks!

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT. So kindly do not forget to rate and accept the answer, thanks!

Expert:  GLENN replied 9 months ago.

Do you have any more questions?

Expert:  Cher replied 8 months ago.

Hello, and welcome.

My name is ***** ***** I have taught English to foreign students for many years; I would love to help with your question.

'He was taken in by her'

The form here, would be as follows:

Subject + helping verb (past form of 'to be') + past participle + direct object (her).

The potential problem with the form, is that it can be ambiguous/have more than one meaning: 1. He was taken in by her--meaning he reacted favorably to her beauty and/or the type of person she was.... OR 2. He was physically taken in by her, in other words, she took him in (to her home) to give him a place to stay because he had no other place to go.
------------------

'I'm definetly having a lie-in tomorrow' (correct spelling of 'definitely')

1. What is the form--The form is as follows:

I'm definitely having a lie-in tomorrow.

Subject (pronoun) + helping verb ('am' in a contraction as 'I'm'--first person form of 'to be') + adverb + gerund (ending in 'ing') + direct object + adverb

2. What are the problems with form

I see no problems with the form, but, a change could be made, in beginning the sentence with 'tomorrow' instead of ending it with that word.

-----------------------------

I hope this helps!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback (3-5 stars or any smiling face); that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not close our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be glad to continue.

Make sure to begin your replies or additional questions with "For Cher Only".

Warmest regards,
Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 8 months ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.