Mr. Gregory White
Mr. Gregory White, Professor
Experience:  M.A., M.S. Education / Educational Administration
46856550

One physical test that can reveal a material's ability to

Customer Question

One physical test that can reveal a material’s ability to withstand high shock loads at low temperatures is a A. Charpy impact test. B. Young’s tensile test. C. Vickers hardness test. D. Brinell bend test. 2. Manufacturing materials can be divided into
the classifications of A. solids, liquids, gases, and ions. B. ferrous, nonferrous, elements, and compounds. C. metals, nonmetals, metalloids, and gases. D. metals, ceramics, polymers, and composites. 3. Cold-working metals in manufacturing operations A. makes
grains larger, thus making them more ductile. B. requires quenching and tempering to do additional procedures. C. produces round, spherical grains. D. breaks large grains into smaller ones, thus hardening and strengthening the metals.If a steel part has become
hardened through rolling operations and requires additional machining and forming operations, A. it should be quenched and tempered before the additional manufacturing steps. B. later steps will require sharper cutting tools because of the increased hardness
of the part. C. normalizing or annealing may be in order to make manufacturing operations easier and faster. D. the age-hardening process should be delayed until the part is completely finished. 5. If a 0.250-inch square bar is pulled in tension by a force
of 1250 pounds. The tensile stress produced in the part is _______ psi. A. 0.0002 C. 2000 B. 480 D. 20,000 6. Two allotropes of iron are A. iron carbide and chromium. B. body-centered cubic and hexagonal close-packed. C. ferrite and austenite. D. cementite
and bauxite. 7. A steel bar, which measures 5.000 inches at 20°F, is heated to 1050oF in a brazing operation. The length of the bar at the high-temperature point is about A. 4.967 inches. C. 5.0335 inches. B. 5.004 inches. D. 5.152 inches. 8. Materials with
large grains A. always have isotropic yield-strength characteristics. B. are more ductile and malleable than small-grained materials. C. can be achieved only through the addition of special alloying elements that ensure large grain structures. D. have very
low levels of impurities. 9. The slope of a material’s stress-versus-strain curve is A. determined by the amount of force applied to the material specimen. B. a measure of the stiffness of the material. C. about 29 106 psi. D. an indication of how strong
a material is.Heat-treating procedures for metals A. involve variations of temperature and rates of heating and cooling to achieve desired properties. B. can be applied to only nonferrous materials. C. are almost always are done after finishing a manufactured
part. D. are necessary prior to machining or forging metal parts. 11. Technical ceramics A. are all highly magnetic. B. are abrasives used in advanced machining applications. C. are mostly limited to building material applications. D. can be both electrical
insulators and conductors. 12. Hardness testing in manufacturing operations A. is not very reliable and needed only for special applications. B. can quickly reveal that a material has been processed correctly. C. can verify actual strength levels of materials
used. D. requires specially constructed specimens for destructive testing. 13. A tensile test specimen starts with a length of 2.000 inches between the gage marks. After the test, the length is 2.138 inches. What is the elongation of the material? A. 1.069
percent C. 7.45 percent B. 6.9 percent D. 8.7 percent 14. A 1-inch square bar that’s 10 inches long is weighed and found to be 3.21 pounds. This bar is most likely made from A. aluminum. B. steel. 15. The material AISI 4130 is A. an aluminum alloy. B. not
a currently valid material designation. C. a type of manganese. D. a chromium-molybdenum steel alloy. 16. Composite materials can be reinforced C. copper. D. gold. A. with fibers, particles, and dispersion-hardening particulates. B. for strength, but never
in more than one direction. C. with steel where light weight and low manufacturing costs are called for. D. with polymers to achieve the highest strength levels.17. Tensile stress in a circular material such as a rod or bolt can be calculated by A. dividing
the applied force by the diameter of the rod. B. multiplying the diameter of the rod by the applied force. C. dividing the area of the rod by the applied force. D. dividing the applied force by the area of the rod. 18. Phase changes in a metal A. occur because
of manufacturing forming operations. B. happen only as the metal changes from a liquid to a solid, or vice versa. C. occur with temperature changes when the crystal structure changes. D. can’t be achieved with non-pure, real word metals.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Mr. Gregory White replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Greg.

I see this might be time sensitive.

Do you still need this answered?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
by the end of today, please
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank You
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just forget it, I figure the questions. I couldn't answer at least one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Stop emailing me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please don't charge me. No one help me. I did it myself.