Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
22285537

1. The decision on whether to charge and prosecute is

Customer Question

1. The decision on whether to charge and prosecute is made by A. the judge. ( I Picked A. Judge). B. the prosecutor. C. a panel of experts. D. the defendant. 2. The rules of discovery that apply to criminal cases require that A. the work product of the prosecutor must be provided to the defense. B. the defense attorney must never provide any information to the prosecutor. C. incriminating evidence must be provided by the defense to the prosecutor. D. exculpatory evidence must be provided by the prosecutor to the defense attorney. I picked C. 3. One reason that determinate sentencing laws are criticized is that A. they produce an unusually harsh prison system. B. they exclude the possibility of parole. C. they're too detailed and cumbersome to apply. D. the actual time in prison can be reduced. I picked answer A. 4. One reason that determinate sentencing laws are criticized is that A. they produce an unusually harsh prison system. B. they exclude the possibility of parole. C. they're too detailed and cumbersome to apply. D. the actual time in prison can be reduced. I picked answer D. 5. What sentence requires the defendant to pay for damage caused by the crime? A. Determinate sentencing B. Indeterminate sentencing C. Restitution D. Flat-time sentencing I picked answer C. 6. Approximately _______ percent of state trial court decisions are affirmed on appeal. A. 60 B. 20 C. 40 D. 80 I Picked C. 7.Since 1973, what percentage of death row inmates have had their convictions or sentences reversed? A. 15 percent B. 50 percent C. 36 percent D. 25 percent I picked answer c. 8. Sentencing guidelines are developed by sentencing commissions comprised of A. both criminal justice professionals and private citizens. B. legislators and appellate courts. C. private citizens, including victims and advocacy groups. D. police and court personnel. I picked answer B. 9. The _______ is the group who has been called for jury duty. A. jury B. venire C. capias D. voir dire I picked answer D. 10. Indigent defendants are most likely to be defended by A. court-appointed attorneys. B. special defenders. C. private defense attorneys. D. public defenders. I picked answer D. 11. An appellate court proportionality review of a case is designed to A. reduce disparities in death penalty sentencing. B. negate the death penalty. C. determine whether all admitted evidence was legally obtained. D. affirm or overturn a conviction. I picked answer D. 12. Selecting judges according to the Missouri Plan means judges are nominated and then A. elected. B. recommended by the governor for election. C. appointed. D. appointed and finally subject to election. I Picked answer D. 13. In which of the following landmark cases did the Supreme Court set aside death sentences? A. Furman v. Georgia B. Powell v. Alabama C. Roper v. Simmons D. Gregg v. Georgia I picked answer C. 14. What case set 18 as the minimum age for the application of the death penalty? A. In re Winship B. Roper v. Simmons C. McKeiver v. Pennsylvania D. In re Gault I picked answer B. 15. If a defendant claims that drugs were illegally seized but the trial court admitted the drugs into evidence, where can the defendant go to challenge the decision of the trial court? A. Drug court B. Specialty court C. Court of limited jurisdiction D. Intermediate appeals court I picked answer D. 16. Before the Supreme Court's 1991 decision _______, the victim-impact statement was considered irrelevant and potentially inflammatory and was not allowed. A. Roper v. Simmons B. Powell v. Alabama C. Payne v. Tennessee D. Gregg v. Georgia I picked answer C. 17. Which of the following statements is true of preliminary hearings? A. Defendants don't have the right to call witnesses. B. They're used most frequently in misdemeanor cases. C. Defendants have a constitutional right to a jury. D. Defendants have a right to an attorney. I picked answer D. 18. f prosecution fails to meet its burden of proof, then defense counsel can ask for a/an A. new trial. B. directed verdict. C. appeal. D. concurrence. I picked answer B. 19. Governments at the _______ level provide the bulk of the funding for indigent defense systems. A. city B. state C. federal D. county I picked answer D. 20. What subject matter does the U.S. Supreme Court not have the power to decide? A. Issues of constitutional law B. Issues of federal law C. Cases involving international treaties D. Issues of state law I picked answer C.

Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 1 year ago.

Hello Jacqueline,

Thanks for the request. I will be working on these and will post your answers by tomorrow ((9/28). You will receive an email notification when the answers are posted.

-Chris M.

Expert:  Chris M. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

Here are the exam answers for comparison with your own. Let me know if you have questions about any of these answers.

1. B
2. D
3. A
4. A
5. C
6. D
7. C
8. A
9. B
10. D
11. A
12. D
13. A
14. B
15. D
16. C
17. D
18. B
19. D
20. D

Hope this helps!

Expert:  Chris M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jacqueline,

If these answers were helpful, please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am compensated for assisting you.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1.________is the study of prison management and treatment of offenders.

A. Utilitarianism

B. Sentencing theory.

C. Penology

D. Reformation theory.

2. In which of the following cases did the supreme court rule that images are entitled an adequate law library or adequate legs assistance?

A. Wolff V. Mcdonnell.

B. Bounds v. Smith

C. Cooper V. Bate

D. Johnson V. Avery.

3. Which of the following institutions is commonly regarded as the first state prison in the United States?

A.Charlestown state prison in Massachusetts.

B.Walnut street jail in Philadelphia.

C. Auburn penitentiary in New York.

D. Eastern State Penitentiary in Philadelphia

4. At year-end 2011, in________adults in the United States was under community Supervision

A. 140

B. 100

C. 70

D.50

5. What is the Martial Status Of The Majority Of State Prison Inmate?

A. Widowed

B. Legally Separated

C. Divorced

D. Never Married.

6. Inmates who are vulnerable to assault by other inmates may designed for

A. Protective Custody.

B. Administrative Segregation

C. New-Generation Jails.

D. Congregate living area

7. One kind of community correctional facility is a

A. Work Camp.

B. Jail.

C. Halfway House.

D. Minimum- Security Prison.

8. The_______ makes the decision about which institution in jurisdiction offender will begin his or her term of incarceration

A. regional office of the BOP.

B. community corrections and detention division.

C. BOP central office In Washington D.C.

D. Classification facility.

9. At The beginning Of 2012, Which of the following states held the largest number of prison inmates in privately opted facilities?

A. Texas

B. New York

C. California

D. Florida

10. What percentage of State Prison inmates report having some kind of mental problem?

A. 18%

B. 43%

C. 56%

D. 24%

11. According to data provided by the U.S. Justice Department's Bureau of Justice Statistics, in 2011, approximately what percentage of the more then 2.2 millii adults discharged from probation whose out come was know had successfully meet the conditions of their supervision?

A. 75%

B. 33%

C. 66%

D. 80%

12. According to a comprehensive review of research that evaluated the effects of correctional interventions on recidivism rates, which of the following types of correctional Interventions was most successful in reducing recidivism rates?

A. milieu therapies.

B. Cognitive- behavioral treatments.

C. Work-Study Programs

D. Punishment- Oriented interventions.

13. which of the following cases launched the prisoner's rights movement.

A. Cooper V. Pate

B. Wolff V. Mcdonnell

C. Bounds V Smith

D. Johnson V. Avery.

14. Which of the following has not generally been found in research on parole release?

A. The Chances of failure are generally highest. during the early stages of parole.

B. State inmates released through mandatory parole almost always have a higher success rate than inmates released by parole board.

C. Inmates related from prison on parole for the first time are more likely to succeed than rereleases.

D. No more than about half of the inmates released on parole successfully complete their term of supervision.

15. Which of the following issue mist virtually all halfway house confront?

A. Lack suitable candidates

B. Unwillingness of inmates to participate.

C. Higher expenses then prisons.

D. Community opposition.

16. _____ is a court order require that a confined person to be brought to court so that his or her claim can be heard.

A. voir dire

B. Capias

C Habeas Corpus.

D. Subpoena duces tecum

17. Which of the following statements is not the true about inmate-on-inmate sexual victimization rates in persons and jails, according to the second national inmate Survey of sexual victimization.

A. Sexual victimization rates were significantly higher among white or multi- racial inmate than black inmates.

B. Sexual Victimization rates were significantly higher among inmates with a sexual orientation other than heterosexual.

C. Sexual Victimization rates were significantly higher among inmates who had not completed high school than inmates with a college degree more.

D. Sexual victimization rates were significantly higher among inmates who had been sexually victimized prior to incarceration than inmates who had not.

18. What method is used to prevent inmates from harming others?

A. Administrative Segregation

B. Protective Custody.

C. Commissary Privileges

D. Conjugal Visits

19. The process of re building former ties to the community and establishing new tries after release from prison is know as

A. reintegration.

B. recidivism

C. de-prionization.

D. restoration.

20. In what case did the U.S. Supreme Court rule that prisoners could challenge the conditions of imprisonment under section 1983 of the Federal Civil Rights Act?

A. Johnson V. Avery.

B. O'lone V. Estate of Shabazz

C. Procunier V. Martinez

D. Cooper V. Pate.

There is my practice test. I hope you can help me.. thank you!!!

Expert:  Chris M. replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.