Mr. Gregory White
Mr. Gregory White, Professor
Experience:  M.A., M.S. Education / Educational Administration
46856550

Why is it that Facebook is able to make money from there site

Customer Question

Why is it that Facebook is able to make money from there site and users are able to post illegal photos and videos that are copyright infringement but Im not able to get paid from the videos I post on youtube that might be copyrighted by another person.
Category: Homework
Expert:  ratioscripta replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
Well, it is not quite as simple as that.
Facebook makes money by advertising. Not by videos, directly. In other words, Facebook does not make money directly off whatever is posted. It makes money off targeted advertising by companies to its users pages.
If A posts a copyrighted video of B on Facebook, and B demands it be taken down, Facebook generally will comply. Facebook never profits from the video directly. Facebook actually allows B to file a complaint/request to take down the video - see here.
The same with any other website. If you post copyrighted videos on a website, and whoever owns the rights requests that it be taken down, that site will normally comply.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean by make money from advertising not by the videos directly. Do you mean that they are NOT selling the Videos and photos to make a profit. They are just selling the ad space which the video and the photos are on. Is that it. If that is the case why doesn't YOutube allow me to post copyright material on my page and make money
It sounds like this may have a little more story to it. Can you fill me in on what happened a little more?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i cant call
You do not have to. Tell me more about what happened, please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to know if you can have a site where users are able to upload video and photos but have copyright issues. im during a paper on internet advertisement. LIke can a person create a site like instagram but the company make money of the site with ad placements. Now since the website can't control the originality of every user uploaded video or photos post this company be sued. Even if the website has taken the same steps facebook has done
Sorry, I did not realize that this was homework. I am going to opt out and transfer this to the homework category per JustAnswer policy. Your JustAnswer Account has not been charged for this conversation and your question is back in the queue. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active. Should an expert pick it up, you should be alerted via email and/or SMS (text message) unless you actively disable these features.
There is no need for you to reply at this time as this will "lock" your question back to me, thus inadvertently delaying other experts' access to it.
My apologies for any inconvenience and good luck...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This isn't homework
Expert:  Mr. Gregory White replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.