Ingo U
Ingo U, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in software development. Expert in Microsoft .Net, C#, C++, VB, SQL
44076068

I'm trying to get answer to the question

Customer Question

Hi, I'm trying to get answer to the question

Suppose a homogeneous array with 8 rows and 6 columns is stored in column major order starting at address 20 (base ten). If each entry in the array requires only one memory cell, what is the address of the entry in the third row and fourth column? What
if each entry requires two memory cells? To complete this Assignment: Submit an answer to the posed problem and address the following: Identify the address of the entry in the third row and fourth column of the array, in the given problem. Identify the address
of the entry in the third row and fourth column of the array, in the given problem if each entry requires two memory cells. Explain how you determined your answers..

Please help me understand how you came to this answer would you mind sketching a hypothetical array, in the given problem, to help visualise it?

Category: Homework
Expert:  Ingo U replied 1 year ago.
Hi,do you have Excel? (what version?) Feels like the perfect tool to demonstrate this answer!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I have. version 2013

Expert:  Ingo U replied 1 year ago.
OK, here's the file:https://www.dropbox.com/s/74wbddovauvta95/ArrayMath.xlsx?dl=0I hope with the annotations it's clear enough. PLease let me know if you need anything else.Regards,Ingo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Ingo. Although you annotations are clear, I'm afraid your answer is not correct. The correct answer appears to be 39 and 58.
Expert:  Ingo U replied 1 year ago.
OK, I did make a mistake on the 2nd one, I accidentally drew 9 rows, not 8. I've made a corrected version here:https://www.dropbox.com/s/a7karha4ebw7s9a/ArrayMath-1.xlsx?dl=0However, I believe my logic (and answer) is correct; the numbers you're given (39, 58) would apply to the transposed version of the array and/or question... as I've indicated in the yellow-ish highlighted annotations. I'd love to see an explanation and sketch of the supposed correct answer, though.
Expert:  Ingo U replied 1 year ago.
I see there has been a similar question & answer here previously:http://www.justanswer.com/computer-programming/6pnfj-array-suppose-homogeneous-array-rows-columns.html#re.v/175/If you look closely, the question started with"Suppose a homogeneous array with 6 rows and 8 columns is stored in row major order..."whereas your question is exactly the transpose of that (as I said):"Suppose a homogeneous array with 8 rows and 6 columns is stored in column major order..."So the previous answer was correct for the previous question, but I believe mine is correct for this one.Regards,Ingo
Expert:  Ingo U replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.