Scott
Scott, MIT Graduate
Experience:  MIT Graduate (Math, Programming, Science, and Music)
3546829

I have a few astronomy problems. I need the apparent orbit

Customer Question

I have a few astronomy problems. I need the apparent orbit of Mercury on a graph. The first is: ASTR 1030: Mercury Orbit Plot When you finish plotting the 18 lines (the first one is done as an illustration), fill in the apparent orbit of Mercury, then
answer these questions: 1. What is Mercury’s perihelion distance, in A.U.? ___ A.U. 2. What is the aphelion distance of this orbit? _____A. U. 3. What is Mercury’s semi-major axis? ___A. U. 4. What is Mercury’s orbital eccentricity, according to your orbit?
5. Compare this with the book value of .21, and give your percentage error. 6. Using Kepler’s third law, find Mercury’s orbital period in years. 7. Compare with the book value of 88 days, and find your percentage error. I attached a file, the answers are probably
wrong. I need answers to all attached files.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Ray Atkinson replied 1 year ago.
I will get the files and look at it. When do you need the Answers?
The image of the 18 lines is difficult to make out. Is there raw data for me to read?About the second page with the angular measurements, are there directions I can read? The tabled data is not much help.For the PDF file, can you provide appendix I that shows the table that needs to be filled in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that was uploaded directly from the file he gave us from online. I'm fairly certain it is just the orbit of mercury. and the attached file is for the pdf that was initially attached.
I need them as soon as possible.
Observations of the Moon: Instructions
One set of coordinates used to locate heavenly objects is the altitude/azimuth pair. Both of these coordinates are usually stated in degrees. Altitude measures how high the object is as one looks upward from the horizon and azimuth measures how far one would have to turn, in a clockwise direction, from north to view the heavenly object. In this experiment you will measure the altitude angle for Polaris once as well as the altitude and azimuth angles for the Moon four times with one hour between consecutive measurements. This can be done at night or in the day, whenever you can see the Moon in the sky. By now you should have consulted the website suggested in the unit for a brief tutorial on azimuth and altitude angles. If you need you may do an Internet search for a different website to explain these terms. Some websites will have better graphics than others. The altitude angle of heavenly object is the angle between that object and the horizon measured without trees, buildings or other obstructions. We can measure altitude with the protractor device described in Appendix II of this document even when we can’t see the horizon.
The azimuth angle is found using a magnetic compass. Suppose you are facing an object such as the Moon as it is in the western sky an hour or so before moonset. Draw a mental line from the Moon directly downward to the horizon. Point your compass toward the point where that line would intersect the horizon. Now read the angle indicated by your compass. [Some compasses have a rotating degree scale and fixed pointer and others have a fixed degree scale and rotating pointer. Make sure you read and follow the instructions that came with your compass.] Since you are facing a western sky the angle should be in the vicinity of 270 degrees. [270 is due west]
Procedure:
Select a day or evening when the moon is visible. You may have to be patient! Print a copy of the Data Table and record your data in it by hand and then transfer your data to the electronic copy of the file before submitting your report. As you can see from the table you will need to record your latitude and longitude for the location from which you are making your observations. [See Appendix I.] Then record the day and time for each of the measurements. The four measurements should be spaced one hour apart, meaning that the experiment will span three hours.
Once you have finished upload the report to the Assignments Drop Box. Appendix 1: Finding Latitude and Longitude—One Way. Go to the Us Census
Bureau Website. http://www.census.gov/cgi-bin/gazetteer
• Type zip code in proper box
• Click on Search

• Your latitude and longitude are listed, in that order, to the right of the word Location.
• Record the data given in your report form.
Appendix: Making and using a Protractor Measuring Device
To Make: If your protractor has a hole at the location of the apex of the angles it measures proceed. If it does not then drill a hole there large enough to allow the string you have to pass through.
Tie the weight (sinker, nut, washer, stone or such) to one end of the string. Pass the other end through the hole in the protractor and tie a knot large enough to prevent the string’s slipping out of the hole. You probably will not need all of the 50 cm of string. The angle marked 90 degrees will become your zero altitude angle because when the weighted string passes through this marking the sighting edge of the protractor will be pointing toward the horizon. Some have suggested that taping a soda straw to the straight edge of the protractor and sighting through it improves measurements.
To Use: Hold the protractor so that the weighted string is free to hand vertically. Rotate the protractor so that you can sight along its straight edge toward the object for which you want the altitude. See the diagram below. Once the weighted string stops swinging, press the string to the protractor and then determine the angle between the string and the 90-degree line. For example, if the weighted string is at 55 degrees then the angle of elevation is 90 – 55 = 35 degrees.
the information above is for the moon observations report form.I also attached a photo of the data for the approximate measurement forms.
I can tell you that it will not be tonight. We are having rather pretty thunderstorms all evening, so observing the moon tonight is out.You are also aware that I will be giving my data from my location. If that is a problem, adjust the numbers as you please.
I have to apologize for this, but with my crazy schedule, I am not going to be able to get this done in any kind of reasonable time. I am going to have to opt out and let another expert help you.