Bizhelp
Bizhelp, CPA
Experience:  Bachelors Degree and CPA with Accounting work experience

1. (TCO1) A researcher has hypothesized that the chemical

1. (TCO1) A researcher has hypothesized that the chemical tributylin (an additive in boat paint) seeps out of the paint into the water and causes reproductive defects in developing marine snails. Which of the following would be a good control, in a test of tributylin-induced defects on these snails? (Points : 4)
developing snails are kept in a tank of water that has never been exposed to boat paint
developing snails are kept in a tank of water and exposed to below-expected levels of tributylin
developing snails are kept in a dry tank to avoid exposure to contaminated water
adult snails are kept in a dry tank to avoid exposure to contaminated water
developing snails are kept in a tank of water and exposed to boat paint that does not contain tributylin

Question 2. 2. (TCO1) A scientific hypothesis has all of the following features, EXCEPT which of the following? (Points : 4)
able to be proven true
a possible explanation for something
based on observations
falsifiable
all of the above are features of a scientific hypothesis

Question 3. 3. (TCO 2) If the heat of fusion for water is 80 cal/g, how many calories are needed to melt 45.0 g of ice at 0° C? (Points : 4)
3.6 cal
3600 cal
1.8 cal
80 cal
0.56 cal

Question 4. 4. (TCO 2) One cup of kidney beans contains 15 g of protein. If protein has a caloric value of 4 kcal/g, how many kcal are obtained from the protein in the beans? (Points : 4)
15 kcal
4 kcal
60 kcal
120 kcal
3.8 kcal

Question 5. 5. (TCO 2) The formation of a gas from a liquid is known as which of the following? (Points : 4)
evaporation
deposition
freezing
melting
sublimation

Question 6. 6. (TCO 3) The correct name for the compound N2O3 is ________________ . (Points : 4)
dinitrogen trioxide
nitrogen oxide
nitrogen trioxide
dinitride trioxide
dinitrogen oxide

Question 7. 7. (TCO 3) The name of the Cu+ ion is ________________ . (Points : 4)
copper (I)
copper (III)
copper
copper (II)
cuprum

Question 8. 8. (TCO 3) Which of the following factors would NOT increase the rate of a reaction? (Points : 4)
adding more reactants
increasing the pressure of the reaction
lowering the temperature of the reaction
adding a catalyst
all of the above would increase the rate of a reaction

Question 9. 9. (TCO 3) What is the molar mass of sodium phosphate, Na3PO4? (Points : 4)
226.1 g
119.2 g
164.0 g
354.0 g
308.0 g

Question 10. 10. (TCO 3) Which of the following is a chemical change? (Points : 4)
burning sugar
melting gold
bending a steel rod
making a snowman
cutting a rope

Question 11. 11. (TCO 3) What is the coefficient of hydrogen, H2, when the following equation is balanced?
2Al + 3 H2SO4 ---> Al2(SO4)3 + ? H2
(Points : 4)
5
1
4
2
3

Question 12. 12. (TCO 3) How many grams of H2 (molar mass = 2.00 g/mole) are needed to produce 1.80 g of water (molar mass = 18.0 g/mole) according to this equation?
2H2 + O2 --> 2H2O
(Points : 4)
4.00 g
0.200 g
2.00 g
0.180 g
0.100 g

Question 13. 13. (TCO 4) The [H3O+] of a solution with pH = 2.0 is ____________________ .
(Points : 4)
10 M
-10 M
1 x 102 M
1 x 10-2 M
1 x 10-12 M

Question 14. 14. (TCO 4) An acid and base react to form a salt and water in a(n) _____ reaction. (Points : 4)
ionization
dissociation
oxidation
neutralization
reduction

Question 15. 15. (TCO5) A protein containing more than one polypeptide chain exhibits the __________ level of protein structure. (Points : 4)
primary
secondary
tertiary
quaternary
infinite

Question 16. 16. (TCO 5) Many alcohols are soluble in water because ____________________ . (Points : 4)
alcohols have a high rate of evaporation
of hydrogen bonding
the hydroxyl group of alcohols is easily removed
alcohols and water have similar boiling points

Question 17. 17. (TCO 6) Which of these processes can move a solute against its concentration gradient? (Points : 4)
osmosis
passive transport
diffusion
facilitated diffusion
active transport
Category: Homework
Expert:  Bizhelp replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for the questions.

Please click here to download the answers.

Hope this helps!

If you would like to request me for future posts, please put 'For Bizhelp' at the beginning of them.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.

I have some more questions hope that's ok ?

Expert:  Bizhelp replied 4 months ago.
OK, please add the others. How many are there?
Expert:  Bizhelp replied 4 months ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Bizhelp, CPA
Experience: Bachelors Degree and CPA with Accounting work experience