TheDoctor
TheDoctor, Professional w/Adv. Degree
Experience:  M.S. in Internet Information Systems

Fix the bugs, add the feature, replace a transcript box feature

Fix the bugs, add the feature, replace a transcript box feature into 8 lines subtitles on the top of the video either on the right side or left side.
Fix Uncaught TypeError: Object [object Object] has no method 'resizable'
Add the form that change color of the subtitle.
Category: Homework
Expert:  TheDoctor replied 8 months ago.
Hello again Samuel. Thank you for requesting me.

Can you please clarify some of the details?

You said, "Add the feature"

What feature is that? You didn't say.

I'm not sure I understand the "8 lines subtitles on the top of the video either on the right side or left side".

Can you describe that more succinctly? Eight lines. "On the top of the video". Does that mean above the video or over the video (like the captions).

Thank you
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Updated Feature
8 lines subtitles diagram: http://i.imgur.com/eeCegnd.png

New Feature
Form to customize subtitle

Thank you Samuel. That is extremely helpful.

I will contact you once this is ready.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Actually, I have the updated changes. Here is the link:

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Do you think itis better to have a button to increase or decrease size of caption or resize from jquery UI will do?

Once everything is working, we'll see what works best.

What does foreground and background refer to?

Technically foreground would be the color of the text. But the text has two different colors (current and not current).

And background would be a background color that the text resides on.

So can the user not change the current text color?

I'm not completely sure how to move forward because in reality there are three colors involved here (background, foreground, current text). But there are only two options.

How would you like the functionality to work?

I have everything else ready. So once you let me know how you would like these colors to work, I can finish up.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Do three colors involved.

Thank you. I'll let you know once this is ready.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Should I be expecting this code to be ready tonight?

Hello again Samuel!

Please download the project here:

DOWNLOAD

Everything that you requested is in there now.

First, notice that the captions are draggable.

However, the resizable plugin that you were attempting to use will not make the text resizable. Think about it for a minute. The resizable function was being applied to the #subtitle div. So what is resizable? The div itself is resizable -- not the text. The size of text within a div has absolutely dependence upon the size of the div itself. You can make the div as big as you want or as small as you want. It will not change the size of the text.

This goes for all container elements. Changing the size of the element with resizable will not change the size of the text content within the element. So the resizable ui pluggin will not work for that purpose.

Therefore, I implemented two buttons. You can, of course, reposition the buttons, rename them, etc. You can use them to make the caption text larger or smaller.

For the font and colors, they change as you select new fonts/colors. Some of those fonts are not web-friendly fonts. And some of them have very little difference between them. But the font change is working. And so is the color changes.

I put a "None" button next to the background color. You can select a background color for the captions (although the captions have a transparent background by default). But there is no option to select "transparent" in a color selection. So I added that button for when you want to remove the background color after it has been added.

I removed the transcript box and added the 8 lines instead. Now, if you center the captions to the left or right margin of the video, the captions will trail off video because some of the lines are far too long to have the captions centered on the edge like that. You will see that when you select 8 lines, it repositions the captions to generally the area you specified.

Look at lines 247 and 248 of your player file to view the position settings for the 8 lines. Change these values in order to position it exactly where you want it.

I apologize that this took a little while. It was actually a fair amount of work. Let me now if you have any questions.

Please remember to rate my answer. And please remember that if you have any questions involving this code without adding additional code/features, you can always ask follow-up questions on this thread.

Thank you so much and have a wonderful day!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Almost done. Two things:

Two missing things that you haven't done

• For the transcript, the current text should be in the middle, which means there are some text for the future and some from the past

• Set the option that allow the 8 lines to be top of video on left side or right side

Did you read my answer?

I told you to go ahead and position the text exactly where you want it. The eight lines are currently on the right side of the video, but you can easily move it to where you want it. I even told you exactly what lines of code to change.

And this is the first time you have said anything at all about the current text being in the middle. That's a major change.

What I sent you already has the 8 lines on the top of the video on the right side. I don't understand what I'm supposed to do. I implemented what you gave me in the picture and told you the two lines to adjust if you wanted to reposition it any more.

You said to put it on the left or right near the top of the video. I put it to the right near the top of the video. What am I missing here?

I have the middle-text thing done and ready to send you. Let me know about this 8 line thing. I already placed it at the top on the right-hand side. What is the issue with it?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

You focus on the middle of the text and I can wait for them. I will focus on the left or right!

Here is the code with the 8-line middle-of-text highlight:

DOWNLOAD

For the left/right thing, did you mean that you want to give users the option (from the options drop down), of displaying the text on either the left or the right?

Everything you have said is to display it at the top on either the left or right. That statement, without further qualification, means to dispaly it on either the left or right. It doesn't mean or in any way mention giving any option to dispaly it in more than one location. If that is what you meant, it is not too difficult of a change.

Currently, I have it set to the top-right becaues you said to display it on either the left or the right. So I did the right because your picture that you sent is on the right.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I meant to giving any option to display it on either the left or right of the video. I know I didn't tell you because I thought the picture was clear. I am sorry for miscommunication.

THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
TheDoctor, Professional w/Adv. Degree
Experience: M.S. in Internet Information Systems