TheDoctor
TheDoctor, Professional w/Adv. Degree
Experience:  M.S. in Internet Information Systems

I need help with the JQuery/ Javascript bugs including video

I need help with the JQuery/ Javascript bugs including video and mouselisteners.
Category: Homework
Expert:  TheDoctor replied 5 months ago.
Hello again! Thank you for requesting me.

When requesting me, it is better to put **For TheDoctor** as the first thing in your question instead of in the subject. When you put it in the subject, I do not necessarily receive a notification of that.

Please zip up your code and upload it to http://ge.tt

Once uploaded, you will be given a link on the right. Click on the 'Copy Link' option and then paste it here.

Thank you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

I believed the video is too big for the ge.tt

Alternative ink: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yx5v7faj9oc5gz2/oaMIMo_Da1

Hi Samuel,

Please explain what you need assistance with.
Hi Samuel,

Can you identify the bugs for me? Provide a description of what you are trying to do with this and where you are experiencing bugs?

It is very difficult to open another person's project and fix issues when those issues have been explicitly stated. I can make assumptions and do a bunch of searching for issues. But that is horribly inefficient and I would likely miss things.

Also, please let me know by when you need the fixes.

Thank you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

I will need it before Tues morning.

Alright. I will await the requested description of how it is supposed to work and what the bugs are/how to reproduce them.

Thank you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

This is the captioning project and it has the following bugs:

Mouseover bug: it should automatically play and when the mouse lands on the video, it is playing. When the mouse lands on textarea or subtitles itself, the video stop.

Caption bug: Caption should appear on the screen.

Transcript bug: Caption doesn't appear into textarea when the option selected to 4 lines

Also, this project focus more into speed and efficiency. Also, I want to use JSON: Heard that the speed efficiency of json. Load instead of xml.

I need to attach a listener to the video - to the timeupdate event. Whenever this event fires, the video time has changed. Read the curtime property of the video element on every fire of that event, and compare it to the time in the JSON file.

If they match, show the text

Thank you. I will contact you once I have an update.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Wonderful. Nice to hear from you, TheDoctor.

You too Samuel.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

What is the status?

I will have this to you by tonight, as requested. Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Any clarification?

I will have something for you before 11PM EST.

Please let me know what browser and version you are using when you view these bugs.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Chrome and 30.0.1598.101m. Basically, it is up to date.

Hello again Samuel!

Please download the project here:

DOWNLOAD

I did not include the video files in my zip because there is no point in sending you your own video files.

Everything appears to work now. Feel free to make any changes that you want. The captions now display and so does the transcript. It is using JSON (there were some parse issues with your JSON file).

Obviously, I had to update player . js, ccFinal.html, captions.json

So make sure that you have all of my changes when testing and make sure that you do a hard refresh (CTRL-F5 or Shift-Refresh).

Other than the captions/transcript appearing, I have the mouseovers working as well.

If you mouse over the captions or transcript (depending on which one is currently displayed), the movie will pause. When you mouse off, the movie will start back up.

However, if you pause the movie with the video control, then mousing over things does not restart the movie. I added this because it was amazingly annoying. Let's say that you intentionally press pause on the movie. The way you had it, as soon as the mouse is moved over the page, if it touched the caption or transcript area, it would restart because the mouseout restarts the movie. Mousing out from the transcript or caption should only restart the movie if the movie was paused as a result of hovering over the caption or transcript.

If the movie was intentionally paused with a pause button, moving the mouse over the caption or transcript should not restart the movie. That is just insanely annoying and make it very difficult to control. I found myself saying to my screen, "No! Stay Paused! I want you paused! No! No more glowsticks! Stop!" -- So I added the functionality to make certain that the hover/mouseout functionality works better.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm here to help!

Please remember to rate my answer. Thank you so much and have a wonderful day!

THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
TheDoctor, Professional w/Adv. Degree
Experience: M.S. in Internet Information Systems
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Actually, the captions doesn't work.

The captions were working perfectly when I sent it to you. They were certainly working for me. I'm sure I didn't imagine them working. Can you provide details? Have you made changes?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Yeah, I did made some changes. I think there might be javascript errors.

Send me your files. I'll take a look for you. You don't need to send the videos.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

The captions still work perfectly, but your first two lines in your player . js is causing a fatal JavaScript error. You added:

$( "#draggable" ).draggable();
$( "#resizable" ).resizable();

However, there are no elements in the HTML that have the ID draggable or resizable. And if their were, you would need to put these lines inside of of $(document).ready(function()... like:

$(document).ready(function() {
$( "#draggable" ).draggable();
$( "#resizable" ).resizable();
});

Without that, it would attempt to find elements with those IDs before the DOM is available, and that will never work. But again, these elements don't appear in your HTML anyway.

So jQuery return null for those elements. You then attempt to call a member function on a null object, which throws a fatal error.

So it doesn't actually have anything to do with the work I did or the captions. You are simply breaking the JavaScript.

If you press F12 while in Chrome, it will bring up the developer tools. Choose console and then you can see any errors that come up.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Press F12 and view the console:

Uncaught TypeError: Object [object Object] has no method 'resizable'

It is still letting you know that there is no element with the id "resizable"

I see you attempted to add it. But an element cannot have more than one ID

So what you attempted to do is not valid HTML. An element can have more than one class, but not more than one ID.

Again, this has nothing to do with the caption work that you asked me to do. This is new code you are adding that is breaking the page. I cannot continue to provide free assistance for new issues unrelated to the work I did. If you are adding in new code that breaks the script, I cannot provide ongoing free support. You will need to enter a new question for new issues.

If you press F12 in Chrome and look at the console, it tells you exactly where the errors are.