Ingo U
Ingo U, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in software development. Expert in Microsoft .Net, C#, C++, VB, SQL
44076068

Word find

Using two dimensional data.

Write a python function called find_words that finds and prints the list of valid words in a two-dimensional word puzzle.

The input arguments for this function are:

input_puzzle # XXXXX string of characters with NxN characters

valid_words_list: # XXXXX list of valid words separated by white spaces.

The function, find_words, should print the formatted original puzzle, the list of the valid words, and the formatted solved two-dimensional puzzle in capital letters (by removing all the unused characters). You should also write a main program that reads two files: input_puzzle.txt # XXXXX file contains the input puzzle as a string of characters.

valid_words.txt # XXXXX file contains a string of valid words (separated by spaces) See example below.

Example:

If the file input_puzzle.txt contains:

chzratytt

and the file valid_words.txt contains:

dog cat bird hello rat

then your main program should read the two input files and call the function find_words .

The function should then print the following formatted output:

Original puzzle:

| c | h | z |

| r | a | t |

| y | t | t |

Valid words in the puzzle are:

cat

rat

Solved puzzle:

| C |    |    |

| R | A | T |

|     |    | T |

Notes: The original puzzle should be printed as a properly formatted N rows by N columns table and it should be printed in lower case. There should be one space before and after each character.

The input_puzzle.txt file will contain N times N lower case characters. For example if the input_puzzle.txt file contains 49 characters then the puzzle will have 7 rows and 7 columns.

Only those words that exist in the valid_words.txt file are considered valid. For example the word "hat" exist in the original puzzle but since "hat" is not in the list of valid words then it is not included in the solution.

Valid words may be listed horizontally (only left to right), vertically (only top to bottom), diagonally (left to right/top to bottom ; or left to right/bottom to top) in the original puzzle.

The two-dimensional puzzle solution should be printed with all capital letters and all the unused letters should be removed (as shown above).

It must be Python 2.7. 

It would be great if this can be done before 12pm Central time.

--Thank you

Also, if anyone can keep it as simple as possible so that I, as a beginner programmer, can look over and learn from it, that would be excellent

Could you please upload any files related to this project to wikisend.com (or a file sharing site of your choice) so I may have a look? If there are multiple files, it's easiest to put them in a compressed (zipped) folder and upload just that one item.

Thanks,
Ingo U

PS If you're not familiar with wikisend, it's easy and free:
Go to www.wikisend.com and upload the file there (no need to sign up). You will then get a page that has the File ID and Download Link. Copy either the File ID or the Download Link and come back here and paste it in your reply.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

http://wikisend.com/download/242968/input_puzzle.txt

http://wikisend.com/download/710716/valid_words.txt

There we go. Is it possible to do this within an hour and 30 minutes? The deadline has been extended and I would greatly appreciate your help.

Here's a version that does horizontal and vertical, in case I don't get the diagonals done in time - it's tight cause I have a meeting in that timeframe. Maybe you can get partial credit with this at least:

http://wikisend.com/download/898022/puzzle_solver.py
Regards,
Ingo U
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Oh wow, thank you! This helps a lot.

Complete satisfaction here!