David L.
David L., Engineer
Experience:  20 years experience writing white papers, tech publications
13852270

Network Subnetting assignment

Customer Question

For each problem, you will need to provide the following information for the 4 subnets listed: Network Address (3%), Subnet Mask (1%), Broadcast Address (3%), and Range of Available IP Addresses (3%)—a total of 40%.

Question

50.0.0.0/8 subnetted to 9003 subnets and provide information for subnets #1, #3158, #4431, and #9003

Category: Homework
Expert:  Angela--Mod replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. Please let me know and I will assist further. Thank you!

Best,

Angela
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Angela,

Yes, I can continue to wait for an answer. Thank you.

Dennis

Thank you for your patience while we continue to search for a professional to assist you.

Expert:  David L. replied 9 months ago.

Do you still need help with this question?

Thanks,

David.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi David,

Yes, I still need assistance figuring out this problem.

Dennis
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I must be missing something...I don't see an answer. The account still says "Awaiting Expert Reply".

Expert:  David L. replied 9 months ago.

Please click the link below to download the answer document:

click here

Thanks,

David.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi David,

Thank you for taking the time to work on this problem. I've been working through it trying to figure out how you got the answer and unfortunately, I'm not following. I think I understand how you got the first subnet address and range, however, the other 3 are lost to me.

You stated that in order to find the specific subnets, I have to convert the decimal to binary and use the first 8 bits for the second octet and the second 6 bits in the third octet. However, when I convert 3158 to binary, I get 110001010110 for a total of 12 bits which I can split into 8 & 6 bits. So I tried converting the first 8 bits (11000101) to decimal and got 197(decimal) and the remaining 4 bits gives me 6(decimal). That didn't match up with your subnet address of 50.24.172.0 so I tried a different approach to see how the bits would line up in your IP and the bits in 3158. I got the following 50.24.172.0 = (00110010.00011000.10101100.00000000) and noticed the 3158 bits in that IP (underlined and bolded) and thought I was on to something; so I tried it with the other subnet addresses you had. I converted 4431 to binary and got (1000101001111) and compared this to your subnet address of 50.34.76.0 = (00110010.00100010.010011000.00000000) but I could not find the binary equivalent of 4431 in that address. Same for 9003 (10001100101011) when compared to 50.70.44.0 (00110010.01000110.001011000.00000000) - could not find those bits in that subnet address.

I'm not doubting that your solution is wrong, I'm just trying to work it out for myself but getting stuck as I don't see a correlation. Can you provide additional explanation to help me out? Thanks again for you time.

Dennis

Expert:  David L. replied 9 months ago.

The number in the third octet using this method gives us the end of the previous subnet, so to identify the 9003th subnet:

9003 = 010001100101011

01000110.0101011 =

70.43 (note that only the 6 left most bits in the third octet are used for the network number).

50.70.43. is the first, second and third octet numbers at the end of the range rather than the beginning or network number which for the 9003th subnet would be 50.70.44.0.

To find the range use the 8 bits from the last octet and the two remaining bits from the third octet:

11.11111111 or 3.255 so when added to the above network number the end of the range is 50.70.47.255.

Please let me know if that helps to clarify.

David.

David L., Engineer
Experience: 20 years experience writing white papers, tech publications
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thank you so much, David. I think I finally get it. Thanks again for the great explanation.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

David,

Sorry to bug you again. I thought I had it but applying what I thought was the method for figuring out these subnets to #4431 doesn't match up with the info you provide: network address: 50.34.76.0

Can you provide a little more explanation of how your figured out that subnet? Thank you.

Expert:  David L. replied 9 months ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.