Ray Atkinson
Ray Atkinson, Graduate Student
Experience:  Inner-city high school substitute teacher. Degrees in mathemetics, accounting, and education. Years and years of tutoring.

The United States is becoming more health conscious, and as

Attachment: 2013-10-24_033715_ip_unit_3_question.pdf

PART 1

The United States is becoming more health conscious, and as a result, the problem of obesity has gotten more attention. The Body Mass Index (BMI), relates a person’s height and weight, and is often used to determine if someone is overweight. The table below tells the weight status for a given BMI. BMI Weight Status Below 18.5 Underweight 18.5 - 24.9 Normal 24.9 - 29.9 Overweight 29.9 and above Obese The BMI is calculated using the formula: BMI = 703*w / h2 where w is the weight in pounds and h is the height in inches. Solving this formula for h, we see that h = sqrt[703w / BMI] 1. Find the weight of your favorite celebrity. This could be a movie or television personality, athlete, politician or even yourself. 2. Using the weight from part 1, determine the height the celebrity would need to be in order to fall into each of the four weight status categories listed in the table. In other words, select a BMI less than 18.5 (any value, you make it up) and find “h”; then repeat using a new BMI in the range from 18.5 to 24.9, and so on. 3. Using the Internet or other library resource, find the actual height of the celebrity. 4. Determine his or her actual weight status (underweight, normal, overweight or obese) using the original BMI formula at the top of the instructions. 5. How tall would he or she need to be for the normal weight status? 6. Would you consider him or her to actually be in the weight status this formula says based on his or her actual height and weight and considering his or her other physical characteristics? Why or why not? Think about why there may be differences in your calculations and the actual figures. 7. The BMI formula was created by a Belgian Statistician (not a physician), Lambert Adolphe Quetelet, in the early 1830s. Do you think BMI is a fair indication of a person’s weight classification? Why or why not? 8. Summarize your findings in writing using proper style and grammar.

Ray Atkinson :

Do you have a celebrity in mind?

Ray Atkinson :

Let me know when you read this. I will get to work on the rest of the assignment Thursday morning, and it will not take me long.

No, anyone is fine. Thank you

Ray Atkinson :

Quite alright. I will get to work on it in the morning. 0031 local time here. I dont want to make mistakes.

ok. thank you

Ray Atkinson :

Update: I have the pdf file done. Now to the BMI calculations.

Ray Atkinson :

If you have any trouble reading the file with the formula editor, let me know. I can retype it without the editor, but it will not look nearly as readable.